Westchester Co. FD into Uniden BCD996T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Westchester1

I have successfully added some conventional frequencies into my newly purchased Uniden BCD996T but am stuck, clueless, confused how to get the county's new system into my scanner. I've searched read a bunch of info but am still stuck. I'm using FreeScan (although obviously not too well). Anyone willing to take a few minutes to help a struggling newbie?

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Send me a PM with your email address...I created a file for you with the county trunking system.

Westchester1

I'm feeling more and more like a clueless fool each day. The file was great, imported it flawlessly, got them into the scanner but all I seem to hear on these frequencies is the Westchester County PD on their 155.310 or 155.550, some usual activity on 46.26 but none of the Fireground frequencies in the 453.*** which all seem to be dead. Any insight would be appreciated.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Those fireground frequencies are point to point, low power, not repeaters. You must be literally on scene or very close by to hear anything. I hope the trunking system is working for you...lots to hear on there!

Westchester1

Ahhhh, low power. That explains that. What fire frequencies (or frequency range) should I being hearing lots of activity on though?

tommyscan

Premium Subscriber
westchester fire

You should be in great shape if you programmed the trunked system in PROPERLY and entered ALL conventional frequencies from this website on westchester county!!! Remember to program the north and south zones as separate systems in 2 different banks/or scanlists. Use the tables for uhf trunking provided and you will be in business!!!!

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
46.26 is still the main dispatch for most of the county. Depending upon where you are, check the Westchester conventional database...there are a lot of self-dispatched departments. Westchester makes for some interesting listening, even for someone like me living in Putnam!

Westchester1

The dispatch isn't the problem. 46.26 has been fine but after the dispatch I hear nothing. I just imported the file AEMTKieran generously sent me via FreeScan. Is there anything I need to set on the scanner? Do I need a better antenna that the stock one? I live in Mt. Pleasant so I'm pretty much centered in the county.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Does FreeScan do the trunk system setting for you as well? I only put the two trunk zones in there, North and South. You should be hearing the trunk system 5x5

Westchester1

It might but I am probably not setting it up correctly. What software do you use? I'll try anything at this point.

Westchester1

Okay - just bought the software and a paid subscription to RadioReference.com but still don't have any luck with the trunking frequencies. Grrrr! Would you be willing to send your file before I go completely bald?

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Will that software convert from 396 to 996? I'm going to create a Westchester Trunking file? North and South sites MUST be separate systems.

Westchester1

It's worth a try! I certainly can't screw up anything on my end......well with my luck I probably will. The first file you sent worked so I'm staying optimistic. Thanks for the efforts!

Status
Not open for further replies.