Westerly Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

oilmillcharlie

Premium Subscriber
Just noticed that Westerly Fire has changed the DCS on 154.16 from DCS 205 to DCS 172. Also picked them up on 154.16 with a PL of 136.5.
Don't know about the fireground channel of 154.13. Maybe the same DCS.

B.K.

w1av

Hi Oilmillcharlie....I live in Westerly and most of the frequencies on my scanner in the area have been found just by searching. I listen mostly to the fire/rescue. Plus just the local police in Westerly and Pawcatuck. I dont hear much rail activity. I live right outside of downtown Westerly at a good elevation. I am a ham radio operator, but active only mobile. I am still looking for interesting frequencies in the area. I have heard on 155.415 an agency, probably police from out of Long Island. With just an indoor whip too. I am 100' above sea level with a clear shot to the south. I do have 154.160 in all my radios but dont bother too much with the tone squelch unless its a frequency that has other stuff coming in from a distance that I dont want to hear. I am not familiar with DCS. Do you need a digital capable scanner to use it? bob

oilmillcharlie

Premium Subscriber
w1av said:
I do have 154.160 in all my radios but dont bother too much with the tone squelch unless its a frequency that has other stuff coming in from a distance that I dont want to hear. I am not familiar with DCS. Do you need a digital capable scanner to use it? bob

DCS is the same as CTCSS (analog tone squelch) except DCS is digital. You do not need a digital scanner to decode it if your radio has tone squelch capability. You will need a digital scanner to listen to the Westerly PD however since they recently switched to the Washington County digital tunking system. Other threads in this group or in the Radiorefernce database show how the system is set up.

B.K.

lynskey85

Feed Provider
oilmillcharlie said:
Also picked them up on 154.16 with a PL of 136.5.

If you are using a RS scanner, it is likely that is simply a false PL detection. I know the RS Pro-2067 was notorious for giving 136.5 as a PL when it was actually a DPL in use.

Status
Not open for further replies.