Westfarms Mall Scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanningisfun

I am in Westfarms right now and one of the security guards told me I have to turn my scanner off because it's a "liability" issue and people might think I am a security guard when I am not. I think that that is bogus as I am dressed in plain clothes and no one would think I'm a security guard. He let me keep it on my belt which is even more confusing as people can still see it. I think he thinks he's cool and wants to be in control.

Jacob

scanningisfun

That's what I think I'm going to do. I was here last time and I was chatting with a security guard and he didn't care. I guess it depends on the person.

SQUAD109

Premium Subscriber
why not use headphones? i really don't see why you would need to walk around with a scanner on you're belt without using headphones...just causing unwanted attention to yourself i think the security guard was right to tell you to turn it off

SQUAD109

Premium Subscriber
how much you want to bet the op was walking around the mall with the scanner blaring way to loud so he can hear it over all the noise at the mall & was upset when the guard told him turn it off. i've seen it way to many times guys walking around with scanners blaring on there waist & not using headphones if you feel the need to walk around with you're scanner 24/7 use headphones or leave it home the mall is private property so if the guards wants it off oh well

scanningisfun

how much you want to bet the op was walking around the mall with the scanner blaring way to loud so he can hear it over all the noise at the mall & was upset when the guard told him turn it off. i've seen it way to many times guys walking around with scanners blaring on there waist & not using headphones if you feel the need to walk around with you're scanner 24/7 use headphones or leave it home the mall is private property so if the guards wants it off oh well

My BCD396XT was at level 5 volume out of 15. No one told him to turn it off. He came to me when he saw me with it. I could only hear it when I took it off the belt clip. If you are going to be rude about something don't even reply.

ecps92

Take a peek at the SNE Wiki and let us know what we are missing :cool:

I am in Westfarms right now and one of the security guards told me I have to turn my scanner off because it's a "liability" issue and people might think I am a security guard when I am not. I think that that is bogus as I am dressed in plain clothes and no one would think I'm a security guard. He let me keep it on my belt which is even more confusing as people can still see it. I think he thinks he's cool and wants to be in control.

Jacob

engine3

Premium Subscriber
My BCD396XT was at level 5 volume out of 15. No one told him to turn it off. He came to me when he saw me with it. I could only hear it when I took it off the belt clip. If you are going to be rude about something don't even reply.

he told you to turn off your scanner .....

wow...how rude of him !

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
That's what I think I'm going to do. I was here last time and I was chatting with a security guard and he didn't care. I guess it depends on the person.

Yeah, you're better off with the earphone, besides, you can hear better with one anyways.
It probably was a security guard's ego getting the best of him, but it is still private property, so you're better off just doing what they say before they kick you off. I bring my scanner with me all the time, but I try hard to keep is as inconspicuous as possible, nothing like having someone jack a $500 scanner from you , when youre not fully paying attention.

scanningisfun

Yeah, you're better off with the earphone, besides, you can hear better with one anyways.
It probably was a security guard's ego getting the best of him, but it is still private property, so you're better off just doing what they say before they kick you off. I bring my scanner with me all the time, but I try hard to keep is as inconspicuous as possible, nothing like having someone jack a $500 scanner from you , when youre not fully paying attention.

Yep. Sometimes I feel likes its not there because it is so light. I do try to keep track of it thought while I have it with me.

mbnv992

I always leave my radios in the car (when going to malls, stores, etc.) when I don't need it. Otherwise you're just attracting (unwanted) attention. If you WERE using it for something ( besides "just listening in" ) then I would've been pissed as well.

I go to the Westfarms mall 1-2 times a week, and most of the security people there are really friendly. It IS thier call on the scanner though. If you HAVE to wear it all the time, just stick it under your coat. If you don't have a coat, well, time to get creative :)

badgers215

A guy I use to work with use to be a security guard there. He told me their system is encrypted. Maybe they're on to you lol. Either way, anyone know if there is any truth to this?

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
This is the first im hearing of it, Illbring my scanner next timeego and see if i get anything, ther is nothing in the database of system for them

Status
Not open for further replies.