Status
Not open for further replies.

HHVFD

Premium Subscriber
Bought a Radio Shack Pro-197, loaded the V-scanner folder for Westmoreland County but don't seem to have all the transmissions and what I do get is mostly broken up and cut off even though signal meter says I'm getting a very strong signal. Any ideas?

captclint

Mentor
Bought a Radio Shack Pro-197, loaded the V-scanner folder for Westmoreland County but don't seem to have all the transmissions and what I do get is mostly broken up and cut off even though signal meter says I'm getting a very strong signal. Any ideas?
Just to be clear, is it being cut off up every 2-5 seconds, just broken up at random? If the former, you have one of the priority functions on.

HHVFD

Premium Subscriber
Gave the scanner to my dad for Father's Day. Will have to confirm the breaking up this weekend but I don't believe priorty is turned on, although it could be. Also, local police just switched to the county system and I'm not sure how to enter them. Is the Radio Shack programming software worth it? Does it simplify the process? This web site lists the local police talk group as an added group and gives the number.

Benzman66

While we are discussing Westmoreland County, is there anyone in the Pittsburgh central area that actually can receive the Apco-25 transmissions well on a Pro106 or 96? I get nothing when downtown, but of course as I head up the south hills area, it gets A LITTLE better. I believe the closest tower to Pgh would be in Wall, PA, but it seems to me it should come in better than it does.

P.S. I am using the RS 800mhz antenna too!

talviar

While we are discussing Westmoreland County, is there anyone in the Pittsburgh central area that actually can receive the Apco-25 transmissions well on a Pro106 or 96? I get nothing when downtown, but of course as I head up the south hills area, it gets A LITTLE better. I believe the closest tower to Pgh would be in Wall, PA, but it seems to me it should come in better than it does.

P.S. I am using the RS 800mhz antenna too!

At Lexington Street (Allegheny County 911) on the second floor, the radios marginally pick up Westmoreland County. Slightly better in the parking lot.

Most of the scanners I have checked that do APCO 25 don't receive as well as the actually handhelds on the system so I doubt it will get better without an actual 800 beam antenna pointed at one of the tower sites.

As always this has been my $1.95 and YMMV.

Tony

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
What most people dont realize.. The towers on the edge of the county are directional facing toward westmoreland.

Via scanner on a mobile i get solid copy all the way til route 30 at greensburg pike in n versailles. Once past there it drops out.

Frank

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
My 2 cents: I am originally from Westmoreland County, and when I visit Greensburg (near the southwest border), I get solid copy on the county P25 system with my PSR 500 & RS 800MHz whip.

Erik

Status
Not open for further replies.