Westport Weston Health District

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I had my 996 scanning for ID search on the CSP system. It stopped on ID 54612. They identified themselves as the Westport Weston Health District and began doing a roll call for all towns from Greenwich to Bridgeport. A quick google search took me here:About WWHD That was fine. But why do they need to be on the CSP system and why do they need to do a roll call?

Manny

ems170

Feed Provider
54612 is a radio ID, not a talkgroup. The general idea behind the system has changed over the years. It is no longer the "state police system", it is a shared system with countless local, regional, state, and federal resources operating on it. I am not part of the health district, but health districts do not operate in a vacuum. Mass immunizations, health scares, and health screenings regularly require coordination between multiple health districts. Why build a separate radio system for these agencies when there is a perfect system already built? The DESPP system has superior coverage in the areas that the regional health districts operate in and building a talkgroup is virtually free. As to why they need to do a roll call, that's an operational policy respective to the agencies. I would imagine that it is for a couple of reasons. The familiarity of the radios and system, identification of any coverage gaps, and testing of one of the health district's primary notification systems. Why are tone tests performed, SMS text tests performed, or storm siren tests done? So that operators know how to use the equipment, they can ensure that it is in working order, and build muscle memory as to how they are to respond. Much of this is fact and some are inference, hope it answered your questions.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
54612 is a radio ID, not a talkgroup. The general idea behind the system has changed over the years. It is no longer the "state police system", it is a shared system with countless local, regional, state, and federal resources operating on it. I am not part of the health district, but health districts do not operate in a vacuum. Mass immunizations, health scares, and health screenings regularly require coordination between multiple health districts. Why build a separate radio system for these agencies when there is a perfect system already built? The DESPP system has superior coverage in the areas that the regional health districts operate in and building a talkgroup is virtually free. As to why they need to do a roll call, that's an operational policy respective to the agencies. I would imagine that it is for a couple of reasons. The familiarity of the radios and system, identification of any coverage gaps, and testing of one of the health district's primary notification systems. Why are tone tests performed, SMS text tests performed, or storm siren tests done? So that operators know how to use the equipment, they can ensure that it is in working order, and build muscle memory as to how they are to respond. Much of this is fact and some are inference, hope it answered your questions.
Yes it does answer my questions thank you. I had no idea this health district entity even existed until today much less on the statewide system.
I labeled it as such on the scanner just to be able to identify it. Thanks again!

Manny

ems170

Feed Provider
No worries, just make sure you save it with the talkgroup that is in the database list. 54612 again is just a radio ID not the talkgroup.

KB1JHU

There are a lot of users on the CLMRN system that would have never been on the old CSP system. Especially when you add in something like the Region 1 UASI groups. Radios were issued to various municipal entities depending on what each town/city wanted. It appears that the majority of the radios issued for the Region 1 UASI system through the UASI funding have ID's in the 54xxx range and can be portables, mobiles, control stations or integrated into dispatch consoles. There are also a lot in the 191xxxx range. If agencies have purchased their own radios for the system, they seem to follow the MMMSUUU ID structure ( see the wiki: Connecticut Land Mobile Radio Network (CLMRN) Radio IDs - The RadioReference Wiki )

Status
Not open for further replies.