Westy Fatal, As Paged

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Motorcyclist Dies After Lightning Strike

POSTED: 5:49 pm MDT June 21, 2006
UPDATED: 6:27 pm MDT June 21, 2006

A man on a motorcycle was struck by lightning Wednesday at about 5:15 p.m. He then crashed his motorcycle and was killed. It is unknown if he was killed by the lightning strike or by the crash that followed.

It happened near U.S. 36 and Sheridan Blvd. West bound lanes of U.S. 36 are closed between Sheridan Blvd. and Church Ranch. A motorist driving by said there was a crater in the road where the lightning had struck.

epbernstein

jimmnn said:

A man on a motorcycle was struck by lightning Wednesday at about 5:15 p.m. He then crashed his motorcycle and was killed. It is unknown if he was killed by the lightning strike or by the crash that followed.

It happened near U.S. 36 and Sheridan Blvd. West bound lanes of U.S. 36 are closed between Sheridan Blvd. and Church Ranch. A motorist driving by said there was a crater in the road where the lightning had struck.

Really bizarre--I for one have never heard of such an incident.

My wife and kids got tied up in the traffic jam about 6:30. The accident had been cleared by the time they got to the scene, but traffic was still AFU...

funcritter

The lightning in the area was very bad, I'm near the Boulder Turpike and Pecos and my power went off just before 5 PM for a minute or two during the lightning and thunder.

M

mpg0515

jimmnn said:

That is a crappy way to go out!! What are the chances of that happening?

Thayne

I would rather go that way than lying in a hospital bed for a long time :(

They had pictures of where the strike hit the pavement and gouged it on the news.

evilklown

The Westminster Fire Department says 46-year-old Gary Missi of Longmont was struck while driving between Church Ranch Boulevard and Sheridan Boulevard at around 5:15 p.m.

After Missi was hit he lost control and crashed against the center median. He ended up 150 yards from where the lightning hit the asphalt.

Rescue workers could not revive Missi and he was pronounced dead on scene.

Jim Leitelt was driving his tow truck right behind Missi when the lightning hit. "It was loud, like a bomb going off, biggest bolt of lightning I've seen in a while," said Leitelt.

The lightning left a crater in the asphalt about 18 inches long, eight inches wide, and four inches deep.

"I knew that's what happened because it killed him, it killed him that quick," said Leitelt.

Attachments

• Crater.jpg
    Crater.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 93

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
evilklown said:
"I knew that's what happened because it killed him, it killed him that quick," said Leitelt.

Not to make light of a tragic situation, but I love tow truck drivers : "That killed him real good":lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.