Wethersfield Trunk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windsor

Has Wethersfield CT changed their frequencies or system recently. I have programmed the Radio Reference frequencies as both a Trunk and Non trunk and hear nothing. I only live about 15 miles from Wethersfield and receive Cromwell and Newington trunk and Glastonbury. Why can't I hear Wethersfield? Any thoughts are appreciated.

awasser1

Premium Subscriber
you must have something wrong. It is trunked moto 800 system II. Comes in loud and clear in Windsor. I pass thru there every day.

Has Wethersfield CT changed their frequencies or system recently. I have programmed the Radio Reference frequencies as both a Trunk and Non trunk and hear nothing. I only live about 15 miles from Wethersfield and receive Cromwell and Newington trunk and Glastonbury. Why can't I hear Wethersfield? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Windsor

Still a problem with Wethersfield 800

Okay - I give up. I checked the scanner and the frequencies are correct, the channels are not locked out. I am receiving the 453 & 460 Wethersfield EMS FD transmissions but I am not getting the 800 transmissions. I have a 780XLT and the first frequency is in bank 6, channel 251 which is the first one in that bank. I am getting abosolutely NOTHING. As I mentioned earlier, I can receive Newington, Rocky Hill, Cromwell, Glastonbury, etc. Any thoughts on what else to look for. Thanks

cg

Premium Subscriber
How well do you do on other 800 mhz signals? You cannot compare signals from different systems just because of where they are. You may be suffering from Nextel or other cellular interference.
Try a search on 851-861 and 866-868.9875 and see how you do for various signals.

chris

Windsor

awasser1 - I-91 at exit 38. Day Hill Road, Poquonock Ave and Marshall Phelps Rd area.
CG - I am not sure how to do a search of the frequency group. I am receiving the Hartford and West Hartford 800 trunk systems. I am also receiving the 800 Farmington PD, Manchesters 8th Dist FD, and West Springfield FD. I am using ProScan for software and the 780XLT. I have called Uniden and they told me how to wipe the scanner clean back to the factory settings. I have reloaded all the frequencies, talk groups, etc and it's only Wethersfield trunk that is giving me a problem. I also just checked the ProScan log which has a 3 week history. I am receiving the Glastonbury FD/EMS 452/453 but also NOT receiving the Glastonbury 800 PD transmissions. Seems to be a problem receiving the 800 for both Glastonbury and Wethersfield.

Last edited:

awasser1

Premium Subscriber
Ok I can tell you right away you are not getting Glastonbury PD because its digital. That scanner doesnt pickup digital. so you will not receive Glastonbury PD with that scanner. I am in Windsor most days. I am usually around Palisado Ave. I will check my reception of Wethersfield there. If I get it OK there I will try to swing up to your area in the next few days and see if I can receive it. I have the BC396T with radio shack 800 mhz antenna which usually is excellent on that band. Yours being a base scanner unfortunately that antenna wont work for you.

OK here's the big news your 785xlt works like my bc250d scanner. Are you programming it "Control Channel Only"??? in Motorola type II you need a band plan. Its Plan II looks like. So the wrong plan is in there then it wont work. On Wethersfield I didnt use control channel only. I have all the freq's in and it works fine. Anything I say Make Sense??? Let me know. Bet the band plan could be it. it did me in before. check your manual u will see the option.

Alec

cg

Premium Subscriber
I would bet that you are getting killed by the Cell sites along 91.

For a search on the 780, there are several ways to do it ... via software, via MENU, or:
SEARCH
HOLD
LIMIT
LIMIT
SEARCH

When you are searching, each number key is another search bank. You can load different banks with different ranges and be able to toggle a search bank on and off by pushing the bank number WHILE in search mode.

You can also try the conventional mode and see if you can hear the data channel. Either program the freq in a blank channel or while searching the range, hit HOLD and scroll with the channel knob

chris

awasser1

Premium Subscriber
on palisado ave i was getting one bar, windsor ctr lost control channel and sage pk jr high 2 bars. never heard any transmissions. just control channel. so if u near any cell sites like previously mentioned its probably wiping out the signal as mentioned.

Windsor

Chris - Thanks for the info. I haven't had a chance to try the search yet. You may be correct about the cell towers. There is one on Pigeon Hill Rd near Addison Rd. I think the Windsor PD is off that tower. That is maybe a mile at the most from here.
Alec - You mentioned Glastonbury is Digital. How can I tell that from the RR list. I don't want to program something I can't get with the 780XLT. If I am looking in the correct place in the ProScan software, it says that I have programmed Wethersfield as Motorola type 2 800. I-call is OFF, delay is 2, Record, Status Bit and End Code are all NO and the Control Channel Only is OFF. This is the same settings I use for West Hartford and I am getting a few of their calls. I may need to put this in the car and drive South to try it in Wilson, Hartford, etc.
Thanks to everyone for all your assistance.

awasser1

Premium Subscriber
P25 tells you Glastonbury is Digital. Anytime u see P25 that is digital. Yep its the main police tower there that's getting you. I wasnt sure how close u were. They have cell antenna's on there for one of the companies. That's probably what's blocking you out. Wilson may not be much better because you have the same situation right by the Wilson Firehouse the big antenna there has cell service. try the hill by Sage Pk Jr. High or get on I-91 once I get closer It comes in better. West Hartford works well in Windsor for me.

Windsor

Hi Gentleman. I have good news and I have bad news. I decided to switch my car scanner (796D) with the house scanner (780XLT). I had to make a trip to Farmington this morning and I heard nothing for Wethersfield. I also heard nothing when I returned this afternoon. We went to Manchester this evening and I was able to get Wethersfield PD Patrol on the Bissell Bridge and I-291 in South Windsor. I also was able to get the same talk group on the way home about 7:30pm. I held the signal with a lot of static up I-91 in Windsor until I got to Bloomfield Ave exit 37 and then it went to scan. It looks like it was programmed correctly but I guess that maybe the cell towers are blocking the signal. Does anyone know how the signal is transmitted? I remember studing commercial radio many years ago and they have a directional pattern shaped like a figure 8 and not a omni signal in round circles. Thanks to everyone for all your advise and assistance. It is greatly appreciated.

awasser1

Premium Subscriber
Nope but like I said I get it at Sage Pk Jr High 2 bars. So that is south of that location. I will try it myself when I go by the PD on Monday.

cg

Premium Subscriber
you will not get West Hartford completely with the 780. They have completed the rebanding which results in any scanner, 785 and older, not being able to track the system. The 796 needs the firmware updated to get it.
The antenna radiation pattern varies widely from site to site depending on the needs of the users and any FCC restrictions. If a site is located outside a town, they may use a directional antenna to get the best coverage within town. West Hartford's TRS uses a directional antenna on top of Avon Mtn that points back into WH.

chris

Status
Not open for further replies.