"Whackers" on Guthrie P.D. VHF 155.610

Status
Not open for further replies.

xerb1962

Premium Subscriber
Anyone around the Guthrie area hearing what appears to be "whackers" using the old Guthrie PD 155.610 repeater?

Seems as though some boys have acquired radios that are programmed with the correct PL tone and are using the channel and in fact chasing GFD calls and GPD calls.

The city has not let their license expire: ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Conventional License - WNYW859 - GUTHRIE, CITY OF

Very strange. This frequency is listed as a back up to OKWIN.

N5TWB

Probably the same crew that was whacking the Guthrie amateur repeater that's part of the TARC Superlink system. The Baofeng bunch rides again...

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Surprised that if a public safety repeater is still active that it doesn't get heard at a dispatch center. Bootlegging on a public safety repeater would attract unwanted attention.

N5TWB

Surprised that if a public safety repeater is still active that it doesn't get heard at a dispatch center. Bootlegging on a public safety repeater would attract unwanted attention.

It likely is heard at dispatch but they are applying basic military rules about interference and jamming: Don't talk about it on the air, keep communicating like it isn't happening. Sometimes, this will discourage the jammer because he thinks he's not having any effect on the target. Also, you want the person to continue just enough that evidence can be collected for an effective case.

xerb1962

Premium Subscriber
They are back at it again, have the repeater keyed up for several minutes at a time....sure hope it times out and does not burn up!

They have a radio tuned to LCSO running in the background.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
They are back at it again, have the repeater keyed up for several minutes at a time....sure hope it times out and does not burn up!

It's not an amateur repeater ... If I ran the radio system, it would be specced for 100% duty-cycle and wouldn't have a timeout. But that's just me.

Maybe folks in the area could do a little DFing on the repeater input. Shouldn't be too hard to at least get it down to the general area. Probably drunk at home and not out driving around. Maybe.

xerb1962

Premium Subscriber
They are true whackers, driving around, using ten codes, the whole works. I was able to figure out and track them down and get close listening to the input frequency when they first started. I am in no position to confront these nuts...it is very sporadic.

The city knows about it but does not seem to concerned, it is a backup for OKWIN.

There is an official city employee that used to be active on here that knows about it.....:cool:

KB7MIB

For the life of me, I cannot understand why people would engage in behaviors that are likely to end in arrest.

For the same reasons people do dumb, risky things that could result in injury or death.

First, there's the, "It can't/wont happen to me", mentality. So many people simply think that bad things only happen to other people, and that they're immune to it. Aka, the "immortality mentality".

Alternatively, it's the, "you only live once, so you might as well have fun", mentality that some take to the extreme.

Lastly, there's the, "f-you, I'll do what I want", mentality.

(And all of these mentalities have existed in society forever. This is nothing new.)

Anyway, take your pick.

John
Peoria, AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.