Regency Whamo 10 / DFS-5K help

Status
Not open for further replies.

wa7zze

I have a Whamo 10 and the DFS-5K frequency selector box, but I don't have the interconnecting cable. I can make a cable easily enough, but I need to know which is pin 1 on both connectors. The connector on the scanner is vertical while the one on the DFS-5K is horizontal. Neither is numbered.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

LesWurk

View attachment 75018View attachment 75018

inside pins on out to outside when viewed like this
RR preventing picture upload even when preview shows it, I give up

lay connectors flat. label one DGS-5k this side up, label other Whammo 10 with arrow to the right saying this end up, with connectors side by side the two inside are connected on out to the outside

Last edited:

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
The connectors of interest have 21 pins; only two of them on the scanner are 21 pins and the other eight have 20 pins. On each 21 pin connector one of the end pins will be ground. This is true for the radio and the DFS-5K. Use a meter to measure resistance from the pins to chassis to find the ground pins. Connect the ground pins together with a cable from scanner to DFS-5K. Then connect the remaining 20 pins together in order from the ground pin all the way to the far end of the connector..

wa7zze

View attachment 75018View attachment 75018

inside pins on out to outside when viewed like this
RR preventing picture upload even when preview shows it, I give up

lay connectors flat. label one DGS-5k this side up, label other Whammo 10 with arrow to the right saying this end up, with connectors side by side the two inside are connected on out to the outside

Thanks. Your diagram came through on the second try. I appreciate your help.

wa7zze

The connectors of interest have 21 pins; only two of them on the scanner are 21 pins and the other eight have 20 pins. On each 21 pin connector one of the end pins will be ground. This is true for the radio and the DFS-5K. Use a meter to measure resistance from the pins to chassis to find the ground pins. Connect the ground pins together with a cable from scanner to DFS-5K. Then connect the remaining 20 pins together in order from the ground pin all the way to the far end of the connector..

Thanks. Finding the ground pin was the first thing I thought of trying. I found it on the scanner (the top pin), but can not find it in the DFS-5K. I opened up the box to see if I could visually determine the ground, but it was not obvious.

None of the pins in the DFS-5K ring to the chassis. If you have one perhaps you could buzz it out and let me know, left-most or right-most pin.

Someone else sent me a diagram but both connections are shown as horizontal so I can’t correlate to the scanner.

Thanks again.

wa7zze

Update: Got it. Am embarrassed to admit that I didn’t have the probe on my VTVM set correctly. Next time I’ll use my Fluke.

Status
Not open for further replies.