Wharton State Forest

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggabenj

Can someone please make it clear, cut & dry as to how to listen to the rangers out there? Our wheeling club is out there and the park rangers LOVE to harrass and we would love to be able to move to another trail when they head our way. We really don't do anything illegal, the rangers out there just don't like anyone with a motorized vehicle that are on the trails.

I have a Radioshack Pro 163 scanner, with Triple Trunking and all the goodies...

What do I need to program into my scanner to get the bead on these guys so we can all avoid being harrassed.

Thank you in advance guys, this site has been SO helpful... having a scanner in my truck has always been a little kid dream of mine and now that I am old enough, I am able to afford the toys I want.

Last edited by a moderator:

biggabenj

Bezking - my appologies for the nasty language. I will keep all of my posts clean from now on. Sorry about that. Use to more adult orentiened private forums these days. Thanks for the heads up.

TAS

The State Park Police are not harassing you, they are doing their job: ATVs and motorized bikes are not allowed in New Jersey's State Parks, Forests, and Recreation Areas. That's right off the DEP web site. These vehicles do a lot of damage to public property and it's sad to see someone trying to use a scanner to facilitate their evading of law enforcement. All you are doing is making the case for encryption for the state. I would also take a look at NJS 2C:33-21 and 2C:33-22 if I were you.

N2ICV

Premium Subscriber
I can help you out ..I go back there myself wheeling!
Look here Department of Environmental Protection Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
you need DEP1,2,& 5
Also you need to put in the NJSP 800 trunk system Troop A and Troop C
New Jersey State Police Trunking System, Statewide, New Jersey - Scanner Frequencies
Troop C TGID 36560 that is C3-03 South 3-COMM Dispatch South (NJSP - Red Lion and Tuckerton Station)
They cover Wharton State Forest. along with..
TGID 24656 New Jersey Bureau of Parks Police Disptach
TGID 24688 New Jersey Bureau of Parks Police Operations

I hope this helps you out...Mudflap91 on Jersey Devil 4x4 & Jeep Forum: At the Entrance

GM

Premium Subscriber
Just keep in mind that if you are using a police scanner to commit a crime, regardless of how minor or how severe it is, and are caught using one for that purpose (which the Rangers/State Park PD probably will find out), you will be prosecuted for that, in addition to degrading the natural resources in that Forest (which is also Federally protected, so the fines also increase for that). And they usually push for the maximum fine of $1,000 for this type of activity, I was told.

On another related note, I hear through the grapevine that the DEP is considering P25 simplex channels for use (of which some may be encrypted for surveillance ops) at a future date.

warnersta7

The State Park Police are not harassing you, they are doing their job: ATVs and motorized bikes are not allowed in New Jersey's State Parks, Forests, and Recreation Areas. That's right off the DEP web site. These vehicles do a lot of damage to public property and it's sad to see someone trying to use a scanner to facilitate their evading of law enforcement. All you are doing is making the case for encryption for the state. I would also take a look at NJS 2C:33-21 and 2C:33-22 if I were you.

It is not against the law to ride on the trails as long as you stay on the trails and do not damage and of the areas off the trails. The trails he is talking about are actually mapped out fire roads that motorized vehicles are allowed to navigate.

biggabenj

It is not against the law to ride on the trails as long as you stay on the trails and do not damage and of the areas off the trails. The trails he is talking about are actually mapped out fire roads that motorized vehicles are allowed to navigate.

Exactly. We are in our trucks... not ATVs or dirtbikes.

biggabenj

I can help you out ..I go back there myself wheeling!
Look here Department of Environmental Protection Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
you need DEP1,2,& 5
Also you need to put in the NJSP 800 trunk system Troop A and Troop C
New Jersey State Police Trunking System, Statewide, New Jersey - Scanner Frequencies
Troop C TGID 36560 that is C3-03 South 3-COMM Dispatch South (NJSP - Red Lion and Tuckerton Station)
They cover Wharton State Forest. along with..
TGID 24656 New Jersey Bureau of Parks Police Disptach
TGID 24688 New Jersey Bureau of Parks Police Operations

I hope this helps you out...Mudflap91 on Jersey Devil 4x4 & Jeep Forum: At the Entrance

I may need your help configuring my scanner.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber

Exactly ! Half the park police officers don't even know the rules themselves. I used to ride out there all the time and I would never stop for the NJ boyscout police ever because I can't stand dealing with these guys. All they want to do is tow your bike and lock you up. I don't think so! Keep your ears on these guys when you're out there.

Danny6569

Wharton state forest

I understand what you guys are saying that these officers harass everyone, but if youre gonna run around out there and try and hide from them with scanners then there gonna be charging you with evading via using the scanners next, do everything legally and drive where youre allowed to drive and if they harass anymore then call there supervisors about it, use the scanners and they will make sure they do what they been trying to do, either harass you more or just lock you up all together!

pjtnascar

I have to agree with the others here, if you can legally ride these trails, the Park Police have no reason to stop you. If you're not supposed to be on those roads and you're using the scanners to evade the police, then you have no legal right to use the scanner in a motor vehicle as using a scanner for comitting a crime, or to further commit a crime is illegal. Why any responsible scanner users on this forum would give advice on how to evade police is beyond me. This is just more fuel for agencies to encrypt. Use the scanners responsibly, please.

N2ICV

Premium Subscriber
Using my radios for GOOD!!

Over the years ( started going back there in 1991) I have used my scanners and my Ham radio to HELP the Rangers/State Park PD and NJSP to look for lost people in the pines (I found 3 in the 90's), and report MVA 's ( 1 with a DOA) and Fires. Now how many of you can say that?
I never use my scanners NEVER to evade them, I use it to know were they are so if I need them I know were they are!
The few times I have run into the State Park PD they were nice and fair to me. Some of the Troopers can be a P.I.T.A. not all but some.

It is not against the law to ride on the fire roads that legal NJ-DMV insured and registered motorized vehicles are allowed on. as long as you stay on the trails and do not damage or go into the areas off the trails, you are good to go.

If you never been in the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_Barrens_(New_Jersey) , stuck in the mud or sand (and know how to get your self out LOL), YOU should KEEP OUT!!! YOU dont know what it can be like in their.I dont know how many times I had help to pull someone that were stuck in the sand or mud , lost or injured that didnt know where they were , how to get out ( or even had a map on them) or get help!

biggabenj if you need help , P.M. me.

Last edited:

Tac-1

Using a scanner to evade the rangers would make you a criminal instead of just being told move get off the trail

C

comsec1

I think that what TAS is stating and what GM has said on this thread is very accurate, encryption is coming and some users on the SP 800 system are already using it and if they decide to go on the 700 system all the easier it will be for them. I have been at meetings with the SP and have heard several of the officers state they want encryption on EVERYTHING just like Bergen County and as I have mentioned in earlier posts this site is always bought up as one of the reasons. I have also been tasked with reading radios that were in cars of owners who were caught acting suspiciously at scenes to verify if they had the capabilities to monitor us but they usually just turn out to be someone who bought a surplus crown vic or caprice and just like to look like a cop and scan while they block the left lane. believe me the budget in NJ plays no part in weather we get encryption or not, its stupid little things and having people who are "in the know" in the right position at the right time and here it comes.
At the begining of this thread I had no idea what "wheeling" was but if you remember a few years back the NJ Park Rangers ( now NJPP) in ringwood encountered a few of them and they too must have felt harrased and if I remember right one of them ended up dead after trying to disarm one of the rangers, This recent article in NJ.com makes me think that this guy must have been on his way to a wheeling convention in the pine barrens
Driver gets blizzard of tickets in Flemington during snowstorm | NJ.com

We all like monitoring radio traffic of the various agencies and some of us have access to to some very good stuff that if was ever posted here would probably start a federal investigation so we really don't need to help them nail the coffin shut on monitoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.