WS1010: What’s the difference with the Walmart variation - WS1010WA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
I’ve been seeing them in store since 2018 and was wanting to grab one recently to use for my basic analog only/railroad needs while out and about but noticed the different WA appended to the callsign. Does it still come with the same stuff in the box as the regular 1010? Anything differen in the functions? I found one post one here about a PIN on startup after first buying it so does that mean the firmware is stuck with that disa junk everytime I reset or will buying it from Amazon be the same?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I’ve been seeing them in store since 2018 and was wanting to grab one recently to use for my basic analog only/railroad needs while out and about but noticed the different WA appended to the callsign. Does it still come with the same stuff in the box as the regular 1010? Anything differen in the functions? I found one post one here about a PIN on startup after first buying it so does that mean the firmware is stuck with that disa junk everytime I reset or will buying it from Amazon be the same?
-
A Walmart store manager living next door to me at the time gave me this info a few years back when I asked him about those Whistler scanner PIN codes, I have no idea if the activation codes have been reinstated again lately or not, and I never did buy one (PIN codes were used by other electronic devices sold by Walmart also)..............................

The activation code will only be needed on the Walmart version (WS1010W) of the WS1010 scanners that were...

(1) Originally sold by Walmart and only during the first 6 months or so that they were offered for sale there a number of years ago (2018),

(2) AND...only if the scanner hasn't previously been used and activated with a code from Walmart or Whistler.

(3) The WS1010W is identical to the WS1010 sold elsewhere except for the activation code.

Back when Walmart started selling the WS1010W they, along with Whistler, implemented an activation code system for that scanner. When you purchased the scanner at Walmart, the activation code would be printed out on your receipt, and you were required to enter it into the scanner when you first turned it on. You only needed to enter the activation code that one time. It was supposedly an effort to thwart theft of Walmart's stock of those scanners.

Walmart's program of activation codes for the WS1010W was abandoned about 6 months after they started selling them. In the event that you should still find one of those scanners originally from Walmart on Ebay, Craig's List etc. that would still ask for an activation code (because it has never been activated previously) - just go to the Whistler website to obtain an activation code.

Someone else on RR was told the same thing about the PIN code no longer being used:

This was Whistler's answer to a question about the WS1010W activation code on Amazon back in 2018 (answer verified by Amazon as being from the manufacturer)....

We produce two versions of this model. The WS1010 does not require an activation code but the WS1010W does require an activation code and is sold only at Walmart.

-----------------------

I don't know what the in-store model numbers are now, but the current online listing from Walmart (actually sold by Walmart) no longer shows the model number on the box as WS1010W or WS1010WA..... just WS1010:

WALMART ws1010

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
I'm familiar with the DISA codes, the off brand tablets I bought there long ago had them, there's also a website for getting if you lost the receipt.

Interesting though, my local walmart has had them in stock mostly continuous since 2018. If they stopped doing the activation code that would explain why they stopped spider locking them and have them in glass cases now, and also moved them from electronics section to automotive with the stereo system head units. At least the boxes aren't all smashed up this time. Either way the photo of the box on the walmart website (that my store has in stock) and the boxes in store still say WS1010WA. I even stopped today just to check again, prices are slightly better now they used to try selling it for around $100. I wonder if these ones will still have the stupid code activation, I wanted to grab one just for the nostalgia of being able to get these at regular local stores but might just skip to Amazon then if they do. Because the code is never actually only once, every full reset of a device makes you put it in again.

IMG_7244.JPG

IMG_7245.JPG

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
I asked Whistler support the other day to make sure I was good, figured I repost here incase anyone in the future goes searching for similar information. Might go and grab it next week.

"Hi,

The WA part was just for Wal-Mart. There is no other differences - features and accessories are the same. Correct, no Activation code is required on any NEW units in Wal Mart.

--

Thank you,
John
Whistler Scanner Support"Screenshot_2022-03-10_17-22-50.png

Status
Not open for further replies.