What’s wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MStep

Very common "newbie" type issue for folks not familiar with the scanner, easily resolved with the above tips. Also search the threads (see jtwalker's link) --- I believe there is a specific one which addresses the issue. Nothing to panic about. I guess it's a new toy for you--- have fun!

JoplinFossil

Premium Subscriber
It worked fine till I tried to enter theQuick keys for each. I can go to each and turn each off and on.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Make sure not only FL Quick Keys are on, but also System and Department and Site Quick Keys.

JoplinFossil

Premium Subscriber
Not sure what I did but it’s working now. Thanks for the information. I’ll save if I have this issue again.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
“Nothing to Scan” is addressed in the manual. There was a time when you could throw the manual over your left shoulder and just wing it. But those days are gone. There are numerous settings that can and do cause this warning to appear. It could be one or a combination of the listed reasons causing this. It appears you got lucky but you aren’t sure which setting you changed to get the scanner playing again. Not a problem but saving the programming will help if it happens again. Just be informed that if it happens again it could be for a different reason and what you found that corrected the problem this time does not work the next time. So, reviewing the manual will be a big help going forward. Sorry, I had the list of “Nothing to Scan” reasons stored on my iPhone in “Notes” but it has disappeared. Otherwise I would have posted it. Time to search the newsgroups and recover it for future reference.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Here is what I found;

Nothing to Scan" Checklist

Scanner Checklist:

1. A location has to be set in 'Set Your Location' to monitor the Database.

2. You must enable at least one Favorites List or the Full Database in 'Set Scan Selection>Select Lists to Monitor'.

3. Favorites Lists or Systems with QK's assigned to them must be enabled with QK's or in 'Set Scan Selection>Manage Quick Key Status'.

4. Make sure 'ID Search' is On for the system if no IDs are programmed.

5. Service Types for the channels you want to monitor must be set to On.

6. Any FL with 'Use Location Control' set to On must have locations programmed for the Departments and/or Sites.

If you are programming everything in Sentinel first and sending it to the scanner:

Edit Profile>Scan Selection tab: Make sure 'Monitor' and 'Download' are On for FL's you want to scan.

Check or uncheck 'Monitor Full Database'.

Edit Profile>Service Types tab: Make sure the Service Types you want to monitor are checked.

Custom 1 is needed for miscellaneous channels.

Edit Profile>Location Settings tab: Make sure you have a location programmed for scanning the Full Database or FL's with 'Use Location Control' set to On.

Edit Profile>Quick Key Status tab: Make sure FLQK's are checked for FL's you want to monitor.

Edit Favorites List>System QK Status tab: Make sure SQK's are checked for systems you want to monitor.

Edit Favorites List>System>Options tab: Make sure 'ID Search' is On if no IDs are programmed.

Edit Favorites List>System>Dept/Site Quick Keys Status tab: Make sure Department/Site QK's are checked for departments/sites you want to monitor.

Edit Favorites List>System>Dept/Site>Location tab: Make sure Departments/Sites have locations programmed if 'Use Location Control' is set to On for the FL.

JoplinFossil

Premium Subscriber
“Nothing to Scan” is addressed in the manual. There was a time when you could throw the manual over your left shoulder and just wing it. But those days are gone. There are numerous settings that can and do cause this warning to appear. It could be one or a combination of the listed reasons causing this. It appears you got lucky but you aren’t sure which setting you changed to get the scanner playing again. Not a problem but saving the programming will help if it happens again. Just be informed that if it happens again it could be for a different reason and what you found that corrected the problem this time does not work the next time. So, reviewing the manual will be a big help going forward. Sorry, I had the list of “Nothing to Scan” reasons stored on my iPhone in “Notes” but it has disappeared. Otherwise I would have posted it. Time to search the newsgroups and recover it for future reference.
I have always kept a copy when it’s running correctly. I was adding Quick keys when this happened. I did as always before asking for help to try and find it on my own. The easier to read manual could stand to be a little easier.😁 Saving posts like these help when I do need help again. Thank You.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
What Jon said...
Location control is one of the most powerful features of these radios.
Why not take advantage if it??????

tvengr

Well Known Member
Absolutely not. Unless you want to suddenly start scanning every site in a statewide system.
I want to see if there is an error in the programming and location control is preventing the scanning of the favorites list. If every site in the state starts to scan,, that would indicate a location based problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.