What’s your favorite thing to scan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkaskavitch

Police department’s are dropping like flies. Denver PD, Aurora PD and even the Denver Fire Department. I’ve grown up listening to public safety and throughly enjoyed listen to DPD for the past six years.

With all these systems going encrypted I have a simple question: what do I listen to now?

Post up your favorite agencies and tell me why it’s great to monitor...

Station51

In a word "Nothing"
In the Land of Encryption its now more like "what will I settle to listen to", in my case that's the California Highway Patrol and Cal Fire which provides county fire protection in my area. I grew up listening to LAPD which is now P25, but I don't live in that area anymore.
I prefer to listen to "local" relevant communications. I'm a ham radio operator so I now spend about 80% of my radio time listening to ham radio.
Been listening since the mid 60's and have heard a lot of interesting radio traffic, It was great while it lasted.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Local First Responder comms, let's me know what's going on in the community.

56FB666

Bear Caretaker
When all the others have already been sold and I haven't packed everything yet. There is President Jackson II is on 24/7 at 27,555Mhz. When it comes to traffic there is a microfon in hand in less than a second :giggle:

eyes00only

I just setup a folder with all the SAID Patches, MAC, Color Coded (Red NW, etc.), Conventional (FERN, etc.) talkgroups.
Also Elitches, Coors Field, etc.

potala1369

Premium Subscriber
With the loss of the Lawrence, MA PD to the 'Big E', I have focused my listening activities to the Lawrence FD and the Lawrence General Hospital's ambulance service. Both usually respond to PD calls. I also monitor various MA State Police trunked frequencies as the MSP does spend a lot of time in the city due to drug and gang activities.

captncarp

my county police dept's, local EMS, vol fire depts, commercial tug traffic and the local railtoads (4). don't know how long it will last, but for now it's there.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Why is this posted in the Colorado forum? All the responses are from out of state
The original poster seems to be looking for suggestions for Denver Metro area agencies that are interesting to listen to, but of course it is pretty clear that most of the folks replying want to be first out of the gate and only saw the thread title that popped up in their latest post feed. Would certainly love to see some antenna suggestions to receive some of the places mentioned so far :rolleyes:.

With all these systems going encrypted I have a simple question: what do I listen to now?

Post up your favorite agencies and tell me why it’s great to monitor...
If you have to do law, then the only suggestion is to move away from your local area to the surrounding counties. I think the north metro agencies are busy. Of course if you are detached from trying to listen to something local, you might as well cast your net wide and stop on whatever sounds interesting. The negative is that encryption is a very hot topic in the region and the options available will only decrease with time.

You could try to shift your monitoring to some area fire departments, but I am also biased and in the minority that prefers fire over law. Pretty much everything going on are actual calls for service, plus they tend to go on many interesting law calls anyways. There is generally less to scan at once while covering a larger area. They are somewhat less likely to go encrypted, although Denver clearly shows that fire is not immune to the trend.

If all else fails, there is always air traffic, hams, public works, businesses, and others. Some find the banter or unfiltered stuff said over the air to be entertaining.

potala1369

Premium Subscriber
I found this topic in the "Latest Posts' portions of the Forums opening page. I didn't realize that the post was intended for one particular area but a subject that was open for all to put their 2 cents worth in.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
I use a Diamond D3000N discone for monitoring here in NJ. It should work just as well in other states :). Just a little levity.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
You can still listen to CSP, and I'm not sure, but maybe Denver county is monitorable.

Other than that there's the parks service, taxis, public buses, railroad, aviation, even your local public utilities or CDOT. Storm chasers and the ham bands, too.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
but maybe Denver county is monitorable
The database indicates that Denver Sheriff is encrypted. The Jail (DDC), however, is not.

Even though the list of PS agencies in the metro area are joining "Club-E" is going, there are still many agencies that are in the clear...for now at least.

Mojaveflyer

Premium Subscriber
Aircraft and railroads... I don't see either going encrypted anytime soon. Since I photograph aircraft and railroads it's an invaluable source of info. I was in law enforcement for 37 years and have little interest in listening to the nonsense anymore...

Mojaveflyer

Premium Subscriber
Aircraft and railroads... I don't see either going encrypted anytime soon. Since I photograph aircraft and railroads it's an invaluable source of info. I was in law enforcement for 37 years and have little interest in listening to the nonsense anymore...

Sorry for the double post, apparently I've lost control of the computer. :-(

scanmanmi

Airplanes chatting about turbulence altitudes and other things, heard a PAN declared recently, military, unencrypted stake-outs, recent Russian space walk, Blue and Green dot, MURS, satellites, radio and TV station remotes (and the cussing), Yellowstone on recent trip, cordless phones way back when.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Douglas County SO (until 2020), Arapahoe County, Jefferson County, Adams County, Clear Creek, Park, Gilpin, South Metro, West Metro etc etc there is still lots and lots to keep my scanners busy.

crazy88

Premium Subscriber
First and foremost, CSP 3C and 3A. After that Poudre Fire and Larimer Sheriff. I also enjoy scanning public works channels sinc those will likely never go encrypted. Yesterday it was fun listening to the county parks and state parks deal with the July 4th influx of tourists.

Status
Not open for further replies.