What 396T tweak do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

delta_p

I was playing around with my radios this morning. I noticed again that the reception on the 396T is not at the level of the 330T. I have attached some recorded comparisons as I swapped the audio during the conversation. I am refering to the static in the background of the voice. The local HAM repeater is probably about 25 miles, while the weak signal is a distant HAM repeater probably 50-60 miles. The 396 has static when the 330T does not.

I am running off a Scantenna in the attic fed to a wilson splitter split to each scanner. I swapped the splitter feeds around but same reception was on each, so I think it's at the scanner. Is this simply a difference in sensitivity or a broken scanner? It really only seems to do this on these 2m bands. Is there a tweak for this? Thanks for any help you can provide.

PP

Attachments

• W4ATD_LocalRepeater.zip
    133.4 KB · Views: 64
  • W4BLT_DistantRepeater.zip
    158.8 KB · Views: 47

gregmoss

Yep, now i noticed the static noise between the bc396 and br330 while scanning convention frequencies, with the same antenna and location. The static with bcd396 was not like the before the upgrade. Now the br300t sound clearer on the same exact frequency as the bcd396. I don't know if it's because of the upgrade or what.

Last edited:

delta_p

Well now I also noticed sometimes the 396T will be as clear as the 330T when running both on the same channel and then all of a sudden hard static will come in on the 396T then go away after a few seconds run. I don't know if it was the upgrade either. I did do the upgrade to 2.00.07 on the 396T though. I don't work much digital with it, is there any way I can go back to 1.13.17 after doing this latest upgrade?

PP

oldtymer

Yikes....

>>Yep, now i noticed the static noise between the bc396 and br330 while scanning convention frequencies, with the same antenna and location. The static with bcd396 was not like the before the upgrade. Now the br300t sound clearer on the same exact frequency as the bcd396.<<

I too have a BR330T as well as a BCD396T that worked equally well BEFORE the upgrade. Now my 396T has lots of static and intermittent bursts of soft noise. I'm just new at this and only monitor ONE analog channel so I know the poor quality reception came with the latest upgrade. I sure hope the Uniden people can correct this problem.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
try moving the squelch up one or 2 levels
the new firmware added another squelch level i needed to move mine to up 3 from 1
(its not the same squelch as before)

if that doesnt work try
play around with the analog AGC settings

try n post this to the post v2 results
Post-V2 Update Performance for BCD396T and BCD996T
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102635&page=9

Maybe UPman can provide some info

question If you only monitor one analog channel why would u have both a 330T and a digital 396? just wondering.

delta_p

torontokris said:
question If you only monitor one analog channel why would u have both a 330T and a digital 396? just wondering.

try n post this to the post v2 results
Post-V2 Update Performance for BCD396T and BCD996T
http://www.radioreference.com/forums...=102635&page=9

I was only running it this way for a test. I Usually monitor separate systems on each. I like fire on one and PD on the other. Sometimes I flip to my HAM band.

I wanted to add, I did not want to post this problem to the radio upgrade results link because I have not ruled out my antenna splitter yet and the simple differences in the radio's as built. I had immediately noticed when I got the radios that the 396T has a crisper audio than the 330T. Where the 330T has a more muted or muffled audio than the 396T. Light or soft noise has always been more detectable on the 396T even though it's there on the 330T too.

PP

Last edited:

delta_p

another test

OK, my scanners are talking to each other through this splitter somehow. When stopped on a noisy reception, the noisy static always appears on the BCD396T while the BR330T is clear. However, if I switch the BCD396T to another coventional scan system, the BR330T becomes noisy. Trunked systems don't affect it. Some 396 systems cause steady noise on the 330T, others cause the noise to pump in and out as the 396 is scanning. This only occurs if I also turn off the original system on the 396T too, leaving it on does not force noise to the 330T.

I have not been able to replicate this on the 396T side, it is always noisy when noise is originally present and while switching the 330T systems. I already tried swapping the splitter feeds between the two scanners with no changes.

This problem has got to be in the splitter, no? I guess I'll just monitor 14X.XXX on the 330T, it showing itself to be quite the little radio.

PP

Viper43

Instead of a splitter use a Stridesburg Multicoupler, it will keep the signal from going back from scanner to scanner and mixing which will give all kinds of odd noises and intereference.
They are not cheap though! I got mine through Grove Enterprises here: http://www.grove-ent.com/multicouplers.html

If you only have two scanners get the two port, otherwise you will need 40 ohm terminators for the open ports.

delta_p

Well one thing I am finding is that BR330T really digs out these weak signals. It consistantly pulls in these two repeaters that are 40-50 miles away, while the 396T doesn't even budge. When it does there's noise and for all I know it might only be recieving because of chatter between the scanners through this splitter.

I probably do need that Stridsberg, but the cost is so....ouch! I have a BCT-15 coming so I'll have to get something to tie these three scanners to the antenna.

PP

Viper43

gregmoss said:
Just abit curious, is there any other hidden features or tweaks within this new firmware?

The ones that are listed in the PDF file.....unless someone found others.

Status
Not open for further replies.