What a shack really looks like :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc2rgw

Premium Subscriber
O.k. we can all stage up these pretty shots of the shack minutes before people come over for the holidays, but this is how mine looks most of the time.

After tearing through projects, eating lunch, tearing open boxes, soldering things, half a pack of smokes into the ashtray and other assorted bits and pieces of things strewn all over the place.

I call it home :)

From the left side

Old HP slimline that used to host my feed
New ASRock Atom 330 ION, low power PC that the feed is on now...only uses 12W or so generally.
Mic on a boom arm Audix OM-2 - hiding in the background is a CAD M177 condenser as well.

Top of the pile

Roland 10ch mixer
Radio Shack Pro-2006
W2IHY three position PTT/mic switch..one mic, three rigs
Kenwood TS-2000
Kenwood TS-680
Roku Soundbridge (does internet radio over the network in the house)
ND2M Baby3sx EQ/pre-amp kit that I built

Monitor sits on top of
BHI ANEM, AF DSP noise filter
Joe Meek 3Q mic pre/compressor
Symetrix 528e voice processor
Shure 522 desk mic

Top of right stack
Yaesu FT-7800R
PK-232 packet TNC (RF modem)
Palstar AT1KM manual tuner
Uniden 396XT
Ameritron AL-80B linear amp
Yaesu VX7R

The headphones is the Plantronics Gamecomm headset I made a rig PTT/mic adapter for Kenwood 8pin wiring. The computer speakers have all the audio shown mixed into a pair of Bose Mediamate computer speakers.

The two holes in the wall are what happens when you get fed up and just decide to run pass throughs quick and dirty for your open wire feeder at ten o'clock at night. I cleaned up that feed, but haven't patched my holes inside yet.

I think that covers most of the radio stuff here. This is my mess.

Attachments

• P1011955 (Modified (2)).JPG
    P1011955 (Modified (2)).JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 4,935

kc2rgw

Premium Subscriber
This is my nice one that I show people who don't know me any better.

shack_pile.jpg

WouffHong

Gootta love it..

:wink: :wink:Looks good to ME!! - A neat shack is a sad shack.. (ROTFLMAO)

Mine has never looked like the attached photo in 2 years. >:)
Wouff

O.k. we can all stage up these pretty shots of the shack minutes before people come over for the holidays, but this is how mine looks most of the time.

After tearing through projects, eating lunch, tearing open boxes, soldering things, half a pack of smokes into the ashtray and other assorted bits and pieces of things strewn all over the place.

I call it home :)

From the left side

Old HP slimline that used to host my feed
New ASRock Atom 330 ION, low power PC that the feed is on now...only uses 12W or so generally.
Mic on a boom arm Audix OM-2 - hiding in the background is a CAD M177 condenser as well.

Top of the pile

Roland 10ch mixer
Radio Shack Pro-2006
W2IHY three position PTT/mic switch..one mic, three rigs
Kenwood TS-2000
Kenwood TS-680
Roku Soundbridge (does internet radio over the network in the house)
ND2M Baby3sx EQ/pre-amp kit that I built

Monitor sits on top of
BHI ANEM, AF DSP noise filter
Joe Meek 3Q mic pre/compressor
Symetrix 528e voice processor
Shure 522 desk mic

Top of right stack
Yaesu FT-7800R
PK-232 packet TNC (RF modem)
Palstar AT1KM manual tuner
Uniden 396XT
Ameritron AL-80B linear amp
Yaesu VX7R

The headphones is the Plantronics Gamecomm headset I made a rig PTT/mic adapter for Kenwood 8pin wiring. The computer speakers have all the audio shown mixed into a pair of Bose Mediamate computer speakers.

The two holes in the wall are what happens when you get fed up and just decide to run pass throughs quick and dirty for your open wire feeder at ten o'clock at night. I cleaned up that feed, but haven't patched my holes inside yet.

I think that covers most of the radio stuff here. This is my mess.

Attachments

• Desks.jpg
    Desks.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 4,898

CapeMan64

Looks pretty disgusting. Why can't a "shack" be well kept. Some of us care about how we appear to guests in our home and have our office and shack combined well we work. Having a messy and disgusting space however is your stereotypical ham so congrats.....

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Nice! I say whatever works for you is what you should have. I like the holes in the wall too if that's what that is above the monitor!

911scanner

Looks pretty disgusting. Why can't a "shack" be well kept. Some of us care about how we appear to guests in our home and have our office and shack combined well we work. Having a messy and disgusting space however is your stereotypical ham so congrats.....

Wow! Just WOW!

For your 1st (or even second) post, you sure know how to make someone feel good.

You don't have to accept anyone or anything, but publicly bashing someone is an entirely different subject. Have a nice time with your well kept home & shack.

MM

WouffHong

Give him a break!

Apparently, YOU'VE never been up to your eyes in a project that consumes every moment of your time and all of your intelligence! :roll:

- In my case, having been a "ham" for over 55 Years, there have been times when the complexity of the problem drives the configuration and temporary wiring rats-nest while the solution evolves. - As a NASA KSC retiree, I can also tell you that's how we solved some pretty dicey problems like APOLLO 13.

So don't knock the mess - Bless the mess.. :D

Wouff

cfr301

I'm sure that this 2 post wonder is a neatness freak and we will find more interesting comments forth coming!

The OP seems like a rather funny poster to me just showing the HONEST side of how things in MOST of the real world are.

kc2rgw

Premium Subscriber
Don't worry heh, I really don't care what anyone else thinks. I posted it as a mess as a point of humor. But this is what happens when you tear through projects with only one spot to work on anything. It's my radio desk, my computer work space, my electronics bench, my workbench etc etc.

It all works and it all gets used all the time, which is a lot more than I can say for many friends with thousands invested in nicer gear in a museum quality setting straight out of Ethan Allen. I'd rather get the use I do out of it than have it look pretty.

I'd thought about built-in consoles when I made that desk but the truth is, I constantly recable things and rearrange pieces...with the open layout that I have, it's easy.

Another bonus, my wife could care less what my desk looks like or what I put on it as long as I'm having fun with it all. Most of my friends get hen-pecked and constrained on what they can do in their own homes...I don't have any of that problem. So I'm a happy camper.

hoser147

Don't worry heh, I really don't care what anyone else thinks. I posted it as a mess as a point of humor. But this is what happens when you tear through projects with only one spot to work on anything. It's my radio desk, my computer work space, my electronics bench, my workbench etc etc.

It all works and it all gets used all the time, which is a lot more than I can say for many friends with thousands invested in nicer gear in a museum quality setting straight out of Ethan Allen. I'd rather get the use I do out of it than have it look pretty.

I'd thought about built-in consoles when I made that desk but the truth is, I constantly recable things and rearrange pieces...with the open layout that I have, it's easy.

Another bonus, my wife could care less what my desk looks like or what I put on it as long as I'm having fun with it all. Most of my friends get hen-pecked and constrained on what they can do in their own homes...I don't have any of that problem. So I'm a happy camper.

LOL thats Right, Mine only stays so clean for so long. Working shack I guess, I can clean it 3 times a day on average.............

K

kb0nly

What was that old saying, a messy home is a sign of a organized mind? LOL

Seriously though, i'm a bit of a neat freak myself, but with three kids i have learned that i need to relax a bit and let some things go, like toys all over the floor while they are playing, but i still cant get myself to stop cleaning up everything before bed, would bug me all night while trying to sleep.

The shack? Well the pictures on my website make it look clean and organized, and about 50% of the time its pretty organized, but then i get into a project and can only work a bit at a time, and its a rotating mess for two weeks, then i clean it all up and two days later i start another project, so the workbench area is a revolving mess... LOL

But the wife doesn't give me any heck about it, i built a room just to house my shack in the basement, so i can get away, relax, and smell the solder fumes for a while in private.

VE5JL

Premium Subscriber

Good for you, it's a good post and I got your point as I'm sure others did too.

73's

Joe VE5JL

http://www.TodayIsWhen.com

Ref-Jazzy

If I were to post a pic of my set up, it would be a pic of me sitting on the couch with my hand held... (im new to the game)

However when i was building lightsabers my desk looked like i was building pipe bombs, bits of wire, pipe, leds, all sorts of crap. It was quite the mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.