What a waste of time ordering from zipscanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Orders

I live in Ontario Canada and have ordered from Ham Radio Outlet, Ham Station, Scanner Master, and Universal Radio and have never had any issues with any of them. Orders shipped very quickly and professionally.
Steve

Zip_Scanners

Placed my first ever order with zip scanners on Saturday.

After ordering online, I received an email stating they needed me to send a picture of my drivers license, that my order was flagged as being possible fraud. Ok sent them what they asked for immediately.

Calle first them on Sunday, was told that my order was approved and that my scanner will be packaged up on ship on Monday.

On Monday, I started reading from threads about them on RR and decided to live chat them in the early afternoon. They confirmed that my package was on the list to be shipped out today. Again assuring me that package was going out today.

I again live chatted them at 9pm asking for tracking and included my order number., I was told, they are unavailable for chat, to please leave a message (what happened to 24/7 support).

I texted them at 10pm and again was told my package was shipping today and that I would get tracking info in a while.

Well I woke up this morning to no tracking info at all.

What a waste of time. I already sent them a message to cancel my order and refund my money. Paypal was also notified.

I knew this was going to be a problem as soon as I ordered the item, I immediately received an email from them telling me I forgot to add programming to my order.

I guess my order wasn’t a priority because I wasn’t dumb enough to order programming at a major upcharge.

Buyer beware.

Sorry about this; your order has now been refunded in full.

Reason for delay was your order was flagged for fraud by our insurance company. As we sell consumer electronics we have a lot of fraud issues and sometimes they require additional information before we can ship which protects you and us. However, our CSR should have explained this via a phone call, not chat or email. I’ll follow up with him when he’s in on how to handle moving forward so this does not happen again.

Email me directly at luke@zipscanners.com if there is anything else we can improve on or if you want to discuss further. Thanks

Zip_Scanners

being unhappy with zipscanners is prob the most popular thread/post on RR...you should have researched them before ordering not after....im curious why did you pick them

There was this post, which we messed up shipping (explanation above) and 1 other which I responded to; are there more I missed?

We have 100's of good reviews and 99.9% of orders go great. However, sometimes we make mistakes which we try out best to remedy. Here are some reviews: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Z...d62809877!8m2!3d44.97445!4d-93.283719!9m1!1b1

Zip_Scanners

Zip scanners failed me too, I wanted a radio,they said they had it and then nothing, no email we don't have it, no whoops we goofed.I had to do all the work chasing them down.
HRO or Ham radio outlet ships fast and has the SDS100!(no I don't work for them, I just like them)

Sorry to hear this. Can you email me at luke@zipscanners.com your name/order number so I can look into what happened?

Thanks.

Zip_Scanners

That is really poor customer service on the part of "Joey" at Zip Scanners. There is another RR thread concerning Zip Scanners (https://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tavern/375015-do-not-buy-zipscanners.html) where someone had a GPS cable on order for the SDS100. After waiting 2 months he inquired by telephone and email but got no timely response to his inquiry. When Zip Scanners finally contacted him a week later they accused him of harassing them by contacting them too many times and they then cancelled his order and told him they no longer wanted his business!

I have never ordered from Zip Scanners but the thing that REALLY turned me off about them was their charging $99.99 for EACH SDS100 upgrade (ProVoice, DMR and NXDN) when the scanner was initially offered for sale back in June. While I understand they can legally charge whatever they want under the capitalistic system, to me that is clearly price gouging and taking advantage of the scanner radio enthusiast/hobbyist. Compared to purchasing directly from Uniden, their $99.99 price was a $40 markup for each of the DMR and NXDN upgrades and a $50 markup for the ProVoice upgrade. If all 3 upgrades were purchased from Zip Scanners, the total extra charge/markup would be $130 which IMHO is excessive no matter how you look at it.

I responded to the 'harassing' post of you follow that link again.

Software upgrades: We charge $89.99 for each which is our time to install and the licensing fee. On the product page for the SDS100 under 'FAQ' we tell folks they can do on their own:

"Software Upgrade Fees
The rate we charge includes the software license(s) and our time to install upgrade. You can upgrade on your own directly from Uniden after you receive your scanner but we will not provide support if you do not purchase from us."

Many of our customers want their scanner to 'just work'. While most folks here on RR love scanners and figuring out how they work - this is not everyone. As you said you "have never ordered from Zip Scanners" which makes sense as you have 900+ posts on here and most of the services we provide you can do on your own. Many of our customers are not tech literate and many do not ever own a computer let alone know how to make paid software upgrades.

I think our markup is fair and we notify folks they can do on their own if they'd like.

Zip_Scanners

I guess I was just lucky. I ordered my SDS100 three weeks ago while on vacation. They were one of the only places that still had any in stock for the "normal" $649 price. I had it delivered to my vacation address and had it in two business days. I was in Ohio at the time. Tracking info was supplied in a timely fashion.

YMMV.

John

Great! This is how almost every order goes.... without incident. Thanks for posting.

fdnyfish

Feed Provider
Woke up to a full refund this morning. I appreciate all the replies, and am glad I’m done with zipscanners. I’m afreaid that I won’t be the last.

SMBaugh2

Ive ordered 2 scanners SDS-100 and a TRX-1 from zipscanners without no problem what so ever. Don't know what happen with this order. Yes I would order again from them.

VicradioZone

Premium Subscriber
I've relied on Zip Scanners to get my last two purchases to me, a TRX-1 and more recently an SDS100, never had a problem.

Also throw in to the mix I'm located in Australia, they've done well.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

kinerity

I have to agree with the minority it seems - I ordered from ZipScanners and actually received it a day earlier than expected. Obviously YMMV, but it was my first experience with them and must say I was pleased.

scannerhead

I stopped ordering from HRO, as you can’t see your past purchases, very outdated ordering system. I’ll order another one as soon as I get my refund from these crooks at zipscanners

I get that you were very frustrated when you wrote this but to refer to them as "crooks" seems highly inappropriate.

I ordered the SDS100 from ZipScanners.com when it first became available and they handled every aspect without any trouble and delivered as expected.

Rad-1

Premium Subscriber
Zip Scanners

I ordered my last two scanners from zipscanners.com and happy customer, never had any issues with them. In fact, I remember receiving my scanner fast and brand new packaging as expected.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Sarcasm comes across less accurately without emojis :)

Paul

Wasn't meant as sarcasm and I don't think there was any sarcasm in his post. He is new to the board, and probably only read the comment, not the link. Just trying to help out a newbie.

djs9164

Another one for Zip. Had the 1088 I ordered at the lowest price with free shipping. I even spoke to Luke on the phone for a recommendation before buying. Yes I would do business with them again as well.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I ordered from Zip Scanners when I was told by Luke via chat that the SDS was "In Stock," when it wasn't. Apparently there was a delay in receiving units from their distributor, which in turn delayed the shipping of my order. While I did receive the radio a few days later than promised / anticipated, I was displeased that I was given an inaccurate answer to a direct question. "In Stock" means on hand and ready to ship in my lexicon. That experience has soured my opinion of the company, and since it was my first experience with the Zip Scanners, I doubt they will be my first choice for future purchase (like a base mobile version of the SDS.)

Status
Not open for further replies.