what about oakland?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridgescan

Anybody here do Oakland,Ca? Seen some very cool videos showing freight ambling down the middle of the street! Very odd to me to see a huge train mingling with cars and peds out of its proper corridor..like a bizzare dream! If you have done Oakland do you know of the safer spots to railfan?:wink:

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
at least you're on public property for the most part

Just don't take pictures of trains, uhn uhnnn!

People might think you're up to no good :p

I don't know of safer spots except for the odd stations that have platforms unfenced or guarded with the yellow platform border . They do exist. But if I tell you, it'll get overrun with foamers and Trains Magazine will make it a 'hot spot' , then al quesidia will want to set up shop and then...

SAR923

Jack London Square is the area I thik you're talking about. There's always a lot of trains going through the area and you are free to take all the pictures you want from the sidewalk. It's a reasonably safe area of Oakland and I wouldn't have any problems being there unarmed during the day. After dark, all bets are off almost anywhere in Oakland.

ridgescan

OK Jim.sounds pretty good-thanks you guys. Daytime Oakland I think is OK I take the wife during Feb. to a White Elephant sale out there. I'll be checking Jack London Square-that ought to be a cool experience! I've seen street running only once when I was young in Chicago. I always thought it was so neat. 73s

ridgescan

Well after all this time I finally went to Jack London Square-thank you so much Jim, you were right:) VERY cool I watched an SD-45, all by itself no less, pulling what looked to be a 2 mile long lashup of empty cradlecars to the port. We found a nice spot at Pier 1 Imports-you can stand right alongside as all that might grows on you then rumbles by--what a kick! Got some nice passenger action too. Too bad a guy's gotta travel all the way across the bay just to get a little train in his diet:( but to me worth the effort!

Status
Not open for further replies.