What about Yupiteru scanners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryangassxx

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
There's not a forum for them, and hardly even a mention in the "All Others" forum...

Aren't Yupiteru scanners supposed to be the best ones of them all?

SAR923

Yupi's are not really scanners, they are broadband communication receivers that happen to have a scan function. They don't have any trunking ability and most don't even have CTCSS/DCS capability. They scan very slowly (30 channels per second or less). They are really nice if you want an HF portable that can do SSB and also be able to monitor VHF and UHF frequencies. They are well regarded for air band scanning and the ability to operate in high RF environments without intermod or overloading. But, the main problem is that new Yupi's aren't sold in the US market and haven't been for almost five years. The company really didn't want to modify their receivers to comply with the cell phone restriction laws since the US wasn't a huge market for them anyway. You can still find used ones at e-bay but they are getting long in the tooth now. You can still buy new ones from Canadian and British delaers but, at the prices now being asked, you can get a top of the line trunking scanner for less.

RogerH11

Yups are really good but have interference problems. If you want one kick-butt coventional scanner then get an old Yup MVT7100. It's one of the best scanners ever, but it's old compared to many features on newer scanners. I still use my 7100 often. I also have a 9000 but it's reception in some bands is kind of off, but I believe that was due to it being modified the "crystals" act weird in the 800 band and 400 band is weaker than I like. But it's great for audio and VHF scanning.

Like I said, they're bad for interference and I think that if I farted, it would hang up on a freq. for a moment. :) Don't ever plan to use one any where near a PC.

"Yupi's are not really scanners, they are broadband communication receivers that happen to have a scan function."

I do not agree with this. They are a wideband scanner and their speed of 30 or so channels per second is fast compared to what he is talking about "communication receivers" like Icom and Alinco which scan at 10 or less channels per second. The reason they are less scanner like is because they didn't want to pay for the Uniden and GRE patents to use some features like "per channel delay" and etc. Yups were great when Uniden produced crap radios which was until recently (pre 246 and 780 XLT) and Radios Shack (GRE) lacked volume and wide-band in a portable. So in the pre 246 and 780 days, Uniden were crap radios with suck@ss volume in both base and portables and none are worth owning. GRE made good base units like the Pro 2005, 2006, 2035, 2042 and a few other models, but their portables lacked volume and were not wide-band enough, etc. So if people wanted a good portable, they got Yup and/or AOR etc. because that was the best stuff on the market by far.

However; today, with both Uniden and GRE making good radios with good volume, and along with trunking, and with lots of features and bells and whistles, the Yups and AOR's are no longer "king of the hill" but now lack as well. For years Uniden and Radio Shack shoved crap down our throats and I hated them with a passion, but needed some for trunking. Not only did they lack volume (235 and 245), but they didn't work good and they rammed us with those stupid battery packs. Even their flagship portable (at one time) the 2500XLT had expensive battery packs, not to mention the horrible squelch tails in that and many other portables and base units. The first Uniden that I was happy with is the 246 which is a great radio, good volume, tons of features, and only takes 2 AA batteries. The only thing I didn't like is the possible lack of multiple search bands (or I haven't figured it out) and it seems to have a battery drain when off. A lit keypad would have been nice as well. Mine was stolen so I don't have it anymore.
The 780 is a great conventional scanner and it trunks as well. However, I hate the speaker... it has too much treble or something. It drives me nuts and I can't listen to it, so I bought an external speaker which added to the cost. I don't think such sucky audio should be on a flagship (at one time) base unit.

" They are well regarded for air band scanning and the ability to operate in high RF environments without intermod or overloading. But, the main problem is that new Yupi's aren't sold in the US market and haven't been for almost five years."

I disagree with this, too. They are by far the worst in high RF areas. However, intermod isn't a problem.
Also, I'm not sure if they were ever sold in the USA. The FCC outlawed them in 1994 and the 7100 came out in 1993 so if they were ever sold here, it has been over 15 years ago.

If you want a good conventional scanner and don't live in a high RF area, then a Yup will be good if you like muscle cars instead of a new BMW for comparison. I suggest the 7100 because I still use mine and like it better than the 9000, although the 9000 has more bells and whistles. I consider the 7100 to be an all-time classic and the "Pro-2006" of portables. With the extremely weak dollar, they will cost more to buy if you import one. Perhaps you can find one used here in the US. If not, then check out www.bander.com from Finland. They are a "dealer" rather than a "retailer" of scanners. They are a top-notch dealer (Great CS and they know their stuff) that ranks at the top like Glenn and the former Scanners Unlimited. I bought 4-5 scanners from them with no problems (well they took care of the one that I did have and fixed a radio) and when the dollar wasn't weak, they had good prices.

ryangassxx

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Yups are really good but have interference problems. If you want one kick-butt coventional scanner then get an old Yup MVT7100. It's one of the best scanners ever, but it's old compared to many features on newer scanners. I still use my 7100 often. I also have a 9000 but it's reception in some bands is kind of off, but I believe that was due to it being modified the "crystals" act weird in the 800 band and 400 band is weaker than I like. But it's great for audio and VHF scanning.

Like I said, they're bad for interference and I think that if I farted, it would hang up on a freq. for a moment. :) Don't ever plan to use one any where near a PC.

"Yupi's are not really scanners, they are broadband communication receivers that happen to have a scan function."

I do not agree with this. They are a wideband scanner and their speed of 30 or so channels per second is fast compared to what he is talking about "communication receivers" like Icom and Alinco which scan at 10 or less channels per second. The reason they are less scanner like is because they didn't want to pay for the Uniden and GRE patents to use some features like "per channel delay" and etc. Yups were great when Uniden produced crap radios which was until recently (pre 246 and 780 XLT) and Radios Shack (GRE) lacked volume and wide-band in a portable. So in the pre 246 and 780 days, Uniden were crap radios with suck@ss volume in both base and portables and none are worth owning. GRE made good base units like the Pro 2005, 2006, 2035, 2042 and a few other models, but their portables lacked volume and were not wide-band enough, etc. So if people wanted a good portable, they got Yup and/or AOR etc. because that was the best stuff on the market by far.

However; today, with both Uniden and GRE making good radios with good volume, and along with trunking, and with lots of features and bells and whistles, the Yups and AOR's are no longer "king of the hill" but now lack as well. For years Uniden and Radio Shack shoved crap down our throats and I hated them with a passion, but needed some for trunking. Not only did they lack volume (235 and 245), but they didn't work good and they rammed us with those stupid battery packs. Even their flagship portable (at one time) the 2500XLT had expensive battery packs, not to mention the horrible squelch tails in that and many other portables and base units. The first Uniden that I was happy with is the 246 which is a great radio, good volume, tons of features, and only takes 2 AA batteries. The only thing I didn't like is the possible lack of multiple search bands (or I haven't figured it out) and it seems to have a battery drain when off. A lit keypad would have been nice as well. Mine was stolen so I don't have it anymore.
The 780 is a great conventional scanner and it trunks as well. However, I hate the speaker... it has too much treble or something. It drives me nuts and I can't listen to it, so I bought an external speaker which added to the cost. I don't think such sucky audio should be on a flagship (at one time) base unit.

" They are well regarded for air band scanning and the ability to operate in high RF environments without intermod or overloading. But, the main problem is that new Yupi's aren't sold in the US market and haven't been for almost five years."

I disagree with this, too. They are by far the worst in high RF areas. However, intermod isn't a problem.
Also, I'm not sure if they were ever sold in the USA. The FCC outlawed them in 1994 and the 7100 came out in 1993 so if they were ever sold here, it has been over 15 years ago.

If you want a good conventional scanner and don't live in a high RF area, then a Yup will be good if you like muscle cars instead of a new BMW for comparison. I suggest the 7100 because I still use mine and like it better than the 9000, although the 9000 has more bells and whistles. I consider the 7100 to be an all-time classic and the "Pro-2006" of portables. With the extremely weak dollar, they will cost more to buy if you import one. Perhaps you can find one used here in the US. If not, then check out www.bander.com from Finland. They are a "dealer" rather than a "retailer" of scanners. They are a top-notch dealer (Great CS and they know their stuff) that ranks at the top like Glenn and the former Scanners Unlimited. I bought 4-5 scanners from them with no problems (well they took care of the one that I did have and fixed a radio) and when the dollar wasn't weak, they had good prices.

I actually do have an MVT-7100

Status
Not open for further replies.