what am I doing wrong on EDAC System?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambo

In order to improve your reception, its always better to go with an antenna mounted outside your home. Indoor antennas perform about as good as the rubber duckie that came with your scanner when you bought it . Now I'm not knocking the indoor or rubber duckie antenna, but when it comes to getting better reception do to your location from the site, its always better to have an outdoor antenna when the site is located far from where you live. Also make sure your Attenuation feature is turned off. I know sometimes that will cause bad reception on some systems as well.

ridgescan

Well I better say that I have a very good outdoor antenna up on the roof-so it's not that. It's gotta be something in the talkgroup entry for me anyway. Can somebody here tell me do I have to enter the "DEC" and then the "AFC" in that order or the other way around? This EDAC situation is baffling me. Anyone here have a good success with it? Thanks!

ridgescan

Hey Warren-well I threw the book at it. Nothing so I tried what you said you did by pushing hold and i scrolled thru the freqs and faintly heard transmissions! They were super weak even with my outdoor antenna, so I'm concluding that we'd have to install a powerful directional aerial to get anything over there-CRAP! That pisses me off. Remember when they were on VHF back in the '90s? Hell I never listened to my own town 'cause they had too much cool action going on every minute--you couldn't leave the radio. Oh well

warren128

ridgescan said:
Hey Warren-well I threw the book at it. Nothing so I tried what you said you did by pushing hold and i scrolled thru the freqs and faintly heard transmissions! They were super weak even with my outdoor antenna, so I'm concluding that we'd have to install a powerful directional aerial to get anything over there-CRAP! That pisses me off. Remember when they were on VHF back in the '90s? Hell I never listened to my own town 'cause they had too much cool action going on every minute--you couldn't leave the radio. Oh well

I DO remember listening to the East Bay action back in the 90's. That's what I was hoping to do now, but I guess that's not going to happen from our locations now that the systems are on 800mhz.

I think just for fun, I'm going to program my BC245xlt with the Oakland system to see how it handles the reception (or not).

--Warren

warren128

Hi Everyone,

To follow up on the original question, my good buddy and I have the same scanner (BC246T). Yesterday, I uploaded the exact programming that I had on mine onto his scanner.

He works in Oakland, and he brought his scanner along today to the East Bay. He reports that he can hear Oakland PD just fine when he's over there. So I did program EDACS correctly, it's just that my home location is out of range of that system.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

--Warren

jambo

I kinda figured that your location had alot to do with it. If your not within a few miles of one of their sites to that system your not going to pick it up very good and in most cases not at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.