what am I doing wrong on EDAC System?

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren128

hello,

I've been trying to program the EDAC Standard system for Oakland, CA, but I have not been successful. I am using Freescan, and the information from the radioreference database.

I live in SF, and I was successful with programming the SF Public Service stations that use Motorola Type II.

I must be doing something wrong with the Oakland EDACS because I'm getting nothing.

Can someone run possibly give me a checklist of settings to check?

I created a system, then a site, than added the trunked frequencies as ordered by LCN in the database, then I entered the talkgroup ids. What am I missing?

Thanks,

Warren

jambo

I'm not familiar with Freescan but I'll try to help you as much as I can. First off tell me what county thats in or post the link.

jambo

Here is a website that may help you program this system

http://myweb.cableone.net/marksscanners/246/246.html#program%20edacs%20system

Did you program the freq's in as the appear on RR website? example: if it calls for 866.12500 to be on channel 01, then it needs to be programmed on channel 01.

Notice it skips channel 05 and picks up again on channel 06.
as far as the site for Seneca I believe you need to program that site on a seperate bank.

jambo

After reading that part on EDACS systems, it looks like you need to set your scanner to "WIDE" which is the same as EDACS Standard which is the type of system you are trying to program. Also don't forget to program the talk group ID's in that same bank.

cpuerror

Make sure you are using at least version 0.5, older versions a bug that under certain rare conditions caused some problems with the LCNs.

ridgescan

Hi Warren you're not the lone ranger on this I'm glad you brought it up! I live in S.F. too and I've got all the freqs in there for oakland and got nada-even the skipover on ch.5 I hope we get an answer on this one!

MFD4305

See Jambo's Reply, Above

I had the identical problem with a Chicagoland EDACS system and FreeScan. Although it's not intuitive - be sure the system type is set to WIDE. reception is fine, now.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
I think Jambo may have a valid point. I had problems understanding EDACS 'wide', 'standard' and 'narrow' myself. I programmed the Hampton system with the wrong type and it wouldn't work.

The 246 has two modes and the RR database uses different terms. Just takes some memory (which I seem no longer to have in my brain) when selecting the mode when programming the system.

warren128

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I'm on Freescan v.5b
I used the setting "Wide/Standard" on Freescan. In the easier use manual, it states that for Edacs, wide = Standard.

I programmed the frequencies in LCN order, and I skipped LCN:5, which is N/A on the radioreference database.

i originally had the two Oakland sites together under the same system. I realized that I couldn't do that, so I deleted site 2 and only have site 1 under it's own system.

After all this, still no reception.

Do I need to program site 2 in there under its own system(site 2 is not programmed at all at this point)? Is all traffic coming out of site 2?

when I program site 2, do I need to reinsert all the same groups/talk ids?

It would be great is there is another forum'er here who has successfully programmed Oakland and/or another similar EDACS standard system. :)

--Warren

Last edited:

n2mdk

You need to program site 2 under it's own system and put in the TGIDs as well. You can set up both systems under the say quick key.
If you go through the frequencies manually do you at least hear the control channel.

warren128

n2mdk said:
You need to program site 2 under it's own system and put in the TGIDs as well. You can set up both systems under the say quick key.
If you go through the frequencies manually do you at least hear the control channel.

Jerry, how would I go through the frequencies manually on the BC246t?

btw, I now have the Seneca site (site 2) on it's own system, and still get nothing.

Hey guys, could I be too far from the repeater? I live on the west side of SF. Before trunking systems, I was able to receive Oakland PD's VHF/UHF conventional systems, but that was many years ago.

thanks again,

Warren

cpuerror

warren128 said:
Jerry, how would I go through the frequencies manually on the BC246t?

btw, I now have the Seneca site (site 2) on it's own system, and still get nothing.

Hey guys, could I be too far from the repeater? I live on the west side of SF. Before trunking systems, I was able to receive Oakland PD's VHF/UHF conventional systems, but that was many years ago.

thanks again,

Warren

When its scanning the system, press HOLD. Then scroll through the channels and see if one of them is a constant digital noise. If you can't find one then the problem is that the antenna isnt getting the control channel.

ridgescan

Hey Warren! We're like cousins man! I'm in the Sunset! Where you at? BTW are you entering the talk group numbers in too? I think I didn't do that and that's why nuthin's happnin'

warren128

cpuerror said:
When its scanning the system, press HOLD. Then scroll through the channels and see if one of them is a constant digital noise. If you can't find one then the problem is that the antenna isnt getting the control channel.

This may be the answer than. I scrolled to the control channel frequency, and I don't get the digital noise, I just get static. Maybe I'm too far away for my antenna to pick it up?

--Warren

warren128

ridgescan said:
Hey Warren! We're like cousins man! I'm in the Sunset! Where you at? BTW are you entering the talk group numbers in too? I think I didn't do that and that's why nuthin's happnin'

I'm in the Sunset too! I entered all the talkgroups id's from the radioreference database for Oakland's Public Service.

cpuerror

warren128 said:
This may be the answer than. I scrolled to the control channel frequency, and I don't get the digital noise, I just get static. Maybe I'm too far away for my antenna to pick it up?

--Warren

You might need to get a better antenna, at least an outdoor antenna if you don't already have one.

ridgescan

Well they're throwin' us a curve Warren. There's something missing here. I have a stupid theory that all their antennas are totally directional, situated at the bay's edge with their backs towards us, and beaming only to Oakland proper--you remember the news a few years back saying that gangs and druglords were discovered working with the same ilk in Oakland..I'm sure this would include radio interception.

warren128

ridgescan said:
Well they're throwin' us a curve Warren. There's something missing here. I have a stupid theory that all their antennas are totally directional, situated at the bay's edge with their backs towards us, and beaming only to Oakland proper--you remember the news a few years back saying that gangs and druglords were discovered working with the same ilk in Oakland..I'm sure this would include radio interception.

Yeah, my main listening room is on the west side of my house facing the pacific ocean.

when I go to the west side of my house and unsquelch the frequencies manually, I can barely make out some radio traffic on the Oakland freqs.

that's really too bad.

I wonder if a different indoor antenna would make any difference. I don't really want to mount an external antenna.

i'm not interested in listening to Oakland all the time, just occasionally for fun when I get tired of the SF traffic.

--Warren

Status
Not open for further replies.