What am I doing wrong.(psr-800)

Status
Not open for further replies.

txscan

Ok, i am missing the boat somewhere. I want to set my psr800 so when a transmission comes on my light comes on but does NOT stay on for the whole conversation, just a few seconds, especially when on battery?

thanks in advance

JoeyC

No you aren't missing the boat. Its one of the MANY flaws of psr800. My 500 works perfectly regarding the light where the 800, as you said, only stays on a few seconds or is very random about when the light comes on regardless of the setting you use. I've resorted to having the light ON continuously - that is, if I even turn the thing on.

txscan

I am wanting my 800's backlight not too stay on but only for a few seconds after a transmission. right now when a transmission opens the light comes on but doesn't go off until they are thru talking, i would like to shorten that.

JoeyC

I am wanting my 800's backlight not too stay on but only for a few seconds after a transmission. right now when a transmission opens the light comes on but doesn't go off until they are thru talking, i would like to shorten that.

Mine does just that with one of the settings (cant remember which). Light comes on for just a few seconds then shuts off regardless of whether the signal continues. I want mine to stay on the entire length of the transmission, but doesn't. Wanna trade? :lol:

txscan

I can kick my self in the butt should have ever gotten rid of my pro-106!! but oh well tomorrow I will return the psr800 and exchange it for a bcd396.

jackj

You can set the backlight to:

On while the scanner is receiving a signal.
Flash and continue flashing as long as the scanner is receiving a signal.
Stay on as long as the scanner is turned on.
Turn on when you press any key and stay on for XX seconds.

You can have different configurations for battery operation or external power operation. READ THE MANUAL.

txscan

jackj, i did read manual and doesn't state how to do what i am wanting it to do. all i want it to do is for the backlight to come on when a transmission comes active and go off in like 3 or 4 seconds,not stay on for the whole conversation

lebrunmn

Retired... Get off my lawn!
Premium Subscriber
Here you go...

Just change the value in the EZ Scan software... first tab, left hand side of the page.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Back light time.jpg
    Back light time.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 794

kcoleman

In addition to the settings that lebrunmn has pictured from the "General Settings" tab, don't forget the "Bklt/LED" settings on your "Scanlists", "Conventional Frequencies" and "Talkgroup Details" tabs.

By default your objects are set to "Leave/Off", if you've set your backlight to "Normal", "Key Press", or "Ignore First Key Press", then you will want to change the "Bklt/LED" setting to "On/Off".

That should only activate the backlight when there is a transmission.

Hope that helps,
Keith

txscan

Keith
Will those settings turn the backlight off after 2 or 3 seconds once the backlight turns on from picking up a transmission. I don't want the backlight on for the whole transmission

jackj

Try lebrunmn's & Keith's settings and see Gregg. You won't hurt anything and you might learn something about how your scanner works.

BoboPinky

Hell, and all I wanted was a real volume control on the top of the radio, a slightly larger speaker and not to have to replace or clean off the failing dull finish on mine! And I'm keeping mine.

IowaGuy1603

Hell, and all I wanted was a real volume control on the top of the radio, a slightly larger speaker and not to have to replace or clean off the failing dull finish on mine! And I'm keeping mine.

Some people want everything given to them instantly as well as having exactly every option THEY want.

He was given the solution to the problem he was having

IowaGuy1603

Can you say 'TROLL' kiddies?

Not really

Some people just think that they are at Burger King and can have it "Their Way" and if something doesn't EXACTLY fit their specifications..............it is junk.

I personally wouldn't discard a scanner that works in my area just because of a light...........but then the Unidens don't work as well as the GRE's on one system in my area. The Uniden works..........but the GRE works BETTER.

I'll put up with a couple quirks because it is a better scanner for me....

BoboPinky

I think(?) you know that I was kidding, right? I love the 800. I really do wish that the Sql knob was a Vol knob though.

DaveinCA

I have used RS scanners since the 1970's and Crystals for each channel. We have come such a long way. My last scanner was a PRO-97, now I have the PSR-800. I love being able to fiddle around with the most intricate of settings, the onboard memory, and the ability to switch to a different Virtual Scanner. It is like having 20 scanners in one unit. And the upgradeability is awesome! I hope that feature gets used to increase the capabilities of the scanner, not just add a few functions. They can improve the ability to decode some signals [legally of course]. Thanks Grecom for such a freakin' aswesome machine!

John599nj

Premium Subscriber
Volume control

It's funny you say that because I was just thinking how much I love this scanner now that I use the software but I just cant get used to that volume control. Give me a knob to turn.
I need to read more posting about why this 800 sucks the battery life so fast and what can be done if anything. With that said this scanner is awesome.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.