What am I doing wrong with DSD+?

Status
Not open for further replies.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
So I wanted to try this out and grabbed DSD+ and the Lame driver. I have a Pro 2042 with a tap that I ran to the mic input on a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop using Windows XP SP2. It seems to decode, but all I get is a wav file in the directory and when I play the wav file I hear nothing. Isn't DSD suppose to have live audio?

poltergeisty

Banned
Well, I tried my Dell mini 910 and it works!

There seems to be something wrong with the audio in the 6000. It shows decoding, but I don't hear anything and the wav file that is created has no audio. (It was over 2 MB) I checked the audio properties and nothing is muted and if it was DSD wouldn't be decoding. I don't know what to make of it. I plugged in a mic and heard nothing. I even selected mic boost and nothing. I'm thinking of just reformatting this thing anyway. I just wonder if I fried something. I accidentally stuck a USB stick in upside down and the whole computer went off. I rebooted and everything was fine, but I had to tape over that USB connector so I wouldn't use it again.

I have to buy a set of USB speakers for the Dell mini since the audio isn't that loud.

Edit- Oh yeah! PDW decodes on the 6000. So it does take mic in.

Last edited:

poltergeisty

Banned
I uninstalled the audio driver, ran Ccleaner, rebooted and reinstalled. No luck. I'm beginning to think that the Dell inspiron 6000 mutes audio output when a mic is plugged in. I'm going to buy one of those USB audio cards.

cg

Premium Subscriber
I recall reading that the USB cards don't do 96k so they will not work. I use the Microphone in as a Line-In on my Dell laptop and that works fine. It also could be that there is not enough horsepower with a single core processor.

chris

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I uninstalled the audio driver, ran Ccleaner, rebooted and reinstalled. No luck. I'm beginning to think that the Dell inspiron 6000 mutes audio output when a mic is plugged in. I'm going to buy one of those USB audio cards.

Make sure DSD+ is using the proper audio in and audio out devices.

You can specify -i # and -o # to specify the number of the audio input device to pull raw audio from and the audio output device to send sound to.

And when you first start DSD+, at the top it will show you a list of currently available audio input devices and audio output devices as well as the corresponding device # associated with them.

If you have multiple input/output devices, it might be using the wrong input or output device.

Mike

racingfan360

> I recall reading that the USB cards don't do 96k

This is the only [affordable] one that I've found that does 96khz......
USB Audio Converter - USB Sound Cards | StarTech.com

It works well, but can be a bit temperamental when you pull audio cables in and out. Also I think it only does 96k as a mic/line in but not when you feed the audio out via the device. I use it for input and the on-board sound card for output.

It was certainly true for DSD, but I found the sampling rate of the sound card made a significant difference to the decode quality. 48khz could be marginal, 96khz was really needed, 44.1khz was rubbish. I haven't done much comparison between cards on DSD+.

Jim

poltergeisty

Banned
It also could be that there is not enough horsepower with a single core processor.

That isn't it because my Netbook with a 1.6 GHz Atom proc works.

Make sure DSD+ is using the proper audio in and audio out devices.

You can specify -i # and -o # to specify the number of the audio input device to pull raw audio from and the audio output device to send sound to.

And when you first start DSD+, at the top it will show you a list of currently available audio input devices and audio output devices as well as the corresponding device # associated with them.

If you have multiple input/output devices, it might be using the wrong input or output device.

Mike

It works with the Netbook without messing around with switches. There's only one audio device in the Inspirion 6000.

It does decode so mic in is working. It's just I can't hear anything and I'm thinking audio output is muted when mic is used. Yet a blank 2 MB wav file is created too.

Last edited:

RF23

Premium Subscriber
That isn't it because my Netbook with a 1.6 GHz Atom proc works.

It works with the Netbook without messing around with switches. There's only one audio device in the Inspirion 6000.

It does decode so mic in is working. It's just I can't hear anything and I'm thinking audio output is muted when mic is used. Yet a blank 2 MB wav file is created too.

Is it possible that your audio card on your 6000 is a simplex sound card which I think means it can only do one thing at a time, perhaps your other laptop (Dell Mini 910) has a duplex capable sound card. I have found on a lot of "on-board sound devices" you can listen or record but not both (Simplex) but with a duplex sound card you can listen and record at the same time.

This is a wild guess by the way!

Status
Not open for further replies.