What am I missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cryptolog

Premium Subscriber
I have a PSR-500 programmed with Win500. Just recently I've noticed a periodic interruption on one of the VHF conventional freqs I usually monitor. When a signal is present, the audio is periodically interrupted as if the scanner was checking a priority channel. The S meter remains at full strength. Priority is not slected for any object in the scan list. Wx priority is off. The freq and setting is 155.910 FM CTCSS 179.9. If I set it to search for the tone, there is no interruption and the scanner finds the correct tone. I scan several other VHF convention FM freqs with the same tone that don't have this problem. My Pro-163 receives this freq with no interruption so I believe the transmitter isn't the problem. I have: reloaded the file from Win500, tried deleting that object then reentering it, reentered the object using a different object ID number, initialized global parameters to factory default, initialized the scanner to factory defaults then reloaded the Win500 file. Nothing works. The simple answer is to set the object for tone search vice CTCSS but I'm curious why CTCSS doesn't seem to work with this object. Ideas?

I have a PSR-500 programmed with Win500. Just recently I've noticed a periodic interruption on one of the VHF conventional freqs I usually monitor. When a signal is present, the audio is periodically interrupted as if the scanner was checking a priority channel. The S meter remains at full strength. Priority is not slected for any object in the scan list. Wx priority is off. The freq and setting is 155.910 FM CTCSS 179.9. If I set it to search for the tone, there is no interruption and the scanner finds the correct tone. I scan several other VHF convention FM freqs with the same tone that don't have this problem. My Pro-163 receives this freq with no interruption so I believe the transmitter isn't the problem. I have: reloaded the file from Win500, tried deleting that object then reentering it, reentered the object using a different object ID number, initialized global parameters to factory default, initialized the scanner to factory defaults then reloaded the Win500 file. Nothing works. The simple answer is to set the object for tone search vice CTCSS but I'm curious why CTCSS doesn't seem to work with this object. Ideas?

I have no ideas really. I don't know if the squelch would have anything to do with it. Maybe open it a little more than half way.

SCPD

QRT
i have this same problem with the local chp freq, same issue,it will skip with ctcss, but in search it is flawless, never figured out why, would like to know?

ScannerSK

Possibly the CTCSS tone is weak on that particular station. Try setting the "HD5 Fade" in the Function Global menu settings to a setting of 6000 or so. It's worth a try. This setting controls the squelch timeout after losing the CTCSS tone.

Shawn

N8IAA

Since no one has asked, I will. Do you have the weather priority on? Do you have any of the conventional frequencies, or TGID's tagged with a priority? These will make the scanner stop and check those frequencies/TGID's. Turn them off, and the interruptions should stop.
HTH,
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.