• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What Antenna Configuration Would You Recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
I'm working on planning/pricing a Capacity Plus system but I'm not sure what antenna configuration would make the most sense. The system will be VHF and the sites will have 2 channels/4 slots each with 50W output.

Since there will only be 2 repeaters per site it seems like the best option would be running 2 antennas (with the appropriate separation) and 2 duplexers.

Now, I know a lot of larger systems where there are 5 or 6 channels per site would use a dedicated RX antenna and a dedicated TX antenna, but would this configuration with "master antennas" be overkill for just 2 channels?

Any recommendations would be appreciated, thanks.

(I think this should go without saying. No purchasing decisions will be made solely from the info provided here, I'm just looking for some preliminary recommendations.)

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
The better question, are you ever going to expand your system?

VHF is an absolute pain to deal with receive multicouplers on due to the non-standardization of splits. This means that the pre-selectors have to be channelized (window filters for a specific frequency) as you can't use simple band pass pre-selectors to pass 455-460 MHz and 465-470 MHz like you can with UHF. If you are building a two channel per site system and leaving it a two channel per site system, I would honestly just go with dual BP/BR duplexers with an extra notch filter on the RX side of each.

For antennas, it really depends on what you want to cover...I'm fond of just using something like stacked Telewave ANT150D's on a common mast.

Ubbe

The easiest way are to use seperate duplexers and antennas. But it depends of the cost of installation, antennas and coaxes.

In some cases it's less work and cost with a TX combiner and an active RX multicoupler and a single antenna and coax.

/Ubbe

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the insight guys. At this point, I'm not anticipating expansion beyond 2 channels since this will be a small commercial/SMR type system so I'm thinking separate duplexers and antennas would be my best bet from a cost and simplicity perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.