what antenna P25 BAND

Status
Not open for further replies.

usnasa

Everyone's situation and RF environment is different. If it brings in what you need it to (reasonably so) then keep it as-is. If you were to get it high up above your roof line then yes, you will probably be able to pick up more (non-simplex) stuff assuming there aren't too many nearby obstacles. Many other different factors can influence what you'll be able to pick up but that's a discussion for a different thread. Simply put the lower the band on the radio spectrum the further it propagates. I have a little Hustler magmount about 15 feet or so above my roofline, 30 feet give or take above ground. Nice and lightweight too so it doesn't move around too much when the winds kick up. When propagation is favorable I can pick up VHF (& sometimes UHF) repeaters from 100+ miles away. Shortware & HF amateur radio "QSO's" from around the globe as well

View attachment 88598
did u get my antenna setup Whiskey3JMC

Engine104

Member since 2005
Nice. It looks like the mag-mount is connected to a metal bracket. If it isn't connected to the AC unit or some metal, it probably should be. The metal on the AC's case will act as a ground, which is needed as a counter-poise for a mobile antenna. When you attach a mag-mount to a car, the car's metal acts as a ground. As Bob Grove (Monitoring Times) used to say, "A mobile antenna without a ground is only half an antenna."

usnasa

yes its not on the ac its on the stud the problem is the a/c is under the roof so i cant attach it or it will be in the way of the roof as you can see in this picture ?

Attachments

• 20200713_14235.jpg
    20200713_14235.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 20

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
With so many higher locations available to you on the building you really should do two things: 1) mount the antenna higher 2) use an antenna designed for a base station mount ( not a mobile antenna)

usnasa

With so many higher locations available to you on the building you really should do two things: 1) mount the antenna higher 2) use an antenna designed for a base station mount ( not a mobile antenna)
antenna base station mount ? what do u mean a discone antenna ?

Status
Not open for further replies.