what antenna P25 BAND

Status
Not open for further replies.

usnasa

Hello all I live in brooklyn Ny and right now I have a mag mount antenna outside Im getting alot of stuff but Im trying to pick up some p25 federal frequencies in my area but nothing , there are alot of systems in NY that has p25 but cant get anything I have the home patrol 2 that will do p25 phase 2 so my question is what antenna would help me with the p25 band some are in the 165.2375 - 171.2250 range and others are in 408.200 thru 417.4000 mhz should I go with the Diamond D130NJ would that help without giving up my other systems ?

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
A majority of those frequencies are reported to the database as type M meaning simplex-mobile only. You'll be unable to pick up any traffic from them if you aren't in absolute close proximity to the transmitting portables (a few hundred yards at best). Anything designated as type "RM" or "BM" you may have a shot at since those ops are repeated. There's also the possibility that the info on the database is outdated and those ops may now be encrypted (greater possibility since we're dealing with federal ops)

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Being p25 is irrelevant. The frequency is what you need to look at. A discone is likely going to cover the band of anything you want to listen to. If you're trying to get the most out of an antenna, buy one tuned for the specific frequency range you are wanting or buy a yagi and point it in the direction of the transmitter. The antenna doesn't care if the signal is p25 or analog or anything else, it is still a signal. What antenna are you currently using?

usnasa

Being p25 is irrelevant. The frequency is what you need to look at. A discone is likely going to cover the band of anything you want to listen to. If you're trying to get the most out of an antenna, buy one tuned for the specific frequency range you are wanting or buy a yagi and point it in the direction of the transmitter. The antenna doesn't care if the signal is p25 or analog or anything else, it is still a signal. What antenna are you currently using?
I am using a radio shack mag mount antenna now about 15 feet in the air

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Radio shack made several mag mount antennas. Do you see a part number on it? Your current antenna may not even be tuned for any of the bands you are trying to monitor and could explain part of the problem. But to answer your question on the diamond, it will definitely cover the frequencies you posted above. But as Whiskey3JMC said, you likely won't hear those simplex mobile users unless you are right on top of them or at a very high elevation.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I am using a radio shack mag mount antenna now about 15 feet in the air
Still as I stated above no matter how high up you have the antenna, you're not going to be able to pick up the non-repeated frequencies without being a few hundred yards away from the transmitting units at best. Looking at the categories I would be literally amazed if those you could pick up were indeed in the clear: FBI? Customs and Border Protection? US Marshals? Doubtful, ,but I could be wrong

usnasa

Still as I stated above no matter how high up you have the antenna, you're not going to be able to pick up the non-repeated frequencies without being a few hundred yards away from the transmitting units at best. Looking at the categories I would be literally amazed if those you could pick up were indeed in the clear: FBI? Customs and Border Protection? US Marshals? Doubtful
Humm I see so then why buy a p25 scanner if u have to be that close and thank you both for the help

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
So should I keep what I have I have it on a metal stud screwed to the A/c about 15 feet up
Everyone's situation and RF environment is different. If it brings in what you need it to (reasonably so) then keep it as-is. If you were to get it high up above your roof line then yes, you will probably be able to pick up more (non-simplex) stuff assuming there aren't too many nearby obstacles. Many other different factors can influence what you'll be able to pick up but that's a discussion for a different thread. Simply put the lower the band on the radio spectrum the further it propagates. I have a little Hustler magmount about 15 feet or so above my roofline, 30 feet give or take above ground. Nice and lightweight too so it doesn't move around too much when the winds kick up. When propagation is favorable I can pick up VHF (& sometimes UHF) repeaters from 100+ miles away. Shortware & HF amateur radio "QSO's" from around the globe as well

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.