What are max no. alpha tag character positions for #3 display option "off"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4UVV

What are the maximum number of alpha tag characters which can display for the user selected option of display number 3 selected to "off"? I cannot find that information in the owner's manual. I need to know the maximum number allowed before cutoff so when creating or editing a file in a Favorlites List using ARC536PRO I don't waste time having to re-edit an alpha tag entry trying to make all the characters fit for a display that will not cutoff end characters..

As best I can determine viewing screen a display currently with one or more characters being cutoff using the channel 'hold" it appears to be "26" but I am not sure. Can anyone confirm or provide the correct maximum number which will display before the rightmost character(s) will be cutoff and not display?

John

W4UVV

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
I know its difficult to count characters. I was doing process validation on equipment testers that was software driven and code review did not always help.

This is the procedure I used that made it easy to create and determine where the cutoff occurs. In your case a string of 30 characters as follows and the last displayed should be 6 after the letter B.

123456789A123456789B123456789C

I don't have that radio or use that version of ARC software so not sure how well it will work. I would have thought ARC would limit you on how many characters it would accept. Usually the first thing a programmer is interested in is how long are the strings to determine program requirements and not to create errors in the radio during the transfer process.

W4UVV

I'll try it

I know its difficult to count characters. I was doing process validation on equipment testers that was software driven and code review did not always help.

This is the procedure I used that made it easy to create and determine where the cutoff occurs. In your case a string of 30 characters as follows and the last displayed should be 6 after the letter B.

I don't have that radio or use that version of ARC software so not sure how well it will work. I would have thought ARC would limit you on how many characters it would accept. Usually the first thing a programmer is interested in is how long are the strings to determine program requirements and not to create errors in the radio during the transfer process.

Ok. I'll try it. I temporarily will change a frequently active system with which to test. I assume the 536's 3 major, intermediate and minor display lines are the same maximum characters length.

ARC536PRO file editing does have a cutoff alpha tag maximum number but it is in excess what the 536 alpha tag maximum display number. Tnx.

John

W4UVV

W4UVV

Your recommendation worked great!

Your recommendation worked great!

Here is what I found using all caps (all caps make the alpha tag entries easier to read) in the 3 line display using the non #3 screen display option:

Major Line (1st Line) = 26 characters maximum
Intermediate Line (2nd Line) = 26 characters maximum
Minor Line (3rd Line) = 34 characters maximum

Tnx very much for the recommendation. It will save me lots of time from having to go back and forth trying to delete and/or rename alpha tag characters trying to fit the id within the maximum characters allowed for each line..

John

W4UVV

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
John,

Glad it worked out for you.

Learned some new critical thinking in that job, but really didn't like it. Way to much paper work! On the plus side I worked for a boss that cared and knew his team was way more important than his boss. Know what I mean...

That was the last job I had at that company after many years and then I retired. It was nice to exit on a plus note like I did.

Mike

W4UVV

I understand what you are saying.

John,

Glad it worked out for you.

Learned some new critical thinking in that job, but really didn't like it. Way to much paper work! On the plus side I worked for a boss that cared and knew his team was way more important than his boss. Know what I mean...

That was the last job I had at that company after many years and then I retired. It was nice to exit on a plus note like I did.

Mike

I should have thought what you recommended. It made sense but for over 2 weeks and many more ahead of me I have been custom programing my 536 importing my previously created/maintained 996XT files...25,000 frequencies and probably more before I finish what I want to do.. It is very slow going and at times mind numbing but my efforts are worth it. What I have programed so far for Virginia looks great. Also retired here from federal civil service 17 years now and as you know when for some folks who planned ahead in the past everyday is a holiday.

John

W4UVV

Status
Not open for further replies.