What are Optimum P25 settings for a BCD996XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiVolt

Feed Provider
I'm still struggling to reliably listen to the Toronto Fire North & South systems from my Scarborough location, despite having a roof mounted 700mhz antenna and the signal strength on the control channel being 5 bars, yet i am constantly seeing "Finding CtrlChan" message if I hold on a channel and barely get any chatter thru.

Can anyone suggest settings for the P25 settings, like P25 LP Filter, P25 Adjust Mode & P25 Adjust level?

Thanks.

bigcam406

you might want to ask this question in the Uniden section as there are many experienced users who have posted similar questions pertaining to your problem with their own systems they scan.

mciupa

Database Admin
I can move this post if you wish. Please do not post the same question in multiple forums.

Thanks! :)

mciupa

Database Admin
Currently, Toronto Fire is P25 Phase 1. Seeing West TAC 2 as P25 on the scanner now.

There is Phase 2 capability on the system, thus the notation on system description.

Last edited:

VE3RADIO

Toronto Fire is on a Phase 2 system, which I'm pretty sure a 996XT can't receive.

I can confirm 100% that Toronto is not phase II.

There is a certain radio shop around town telling all the tow trucks it is phase II and selling a lot of new scanners but it certainly is not phase II.. just happens to be phase II capable.

PriorMike

Currently, Toronto Fire is P25 Phase 1. Seeing West TAC 2 as P25 on the scanner now.

There is Phase 2 capability on the system, thus the notation on system description.

Then the database should be changed to reflect that it's currently operating in Phase 1, as opposed to where it currently says it's a Phase 2 system with Phase 2 capability. See the confusion?

mciupa

Database Admin
The problem is, if you look carefully, that there are Phase 2 groups. Their mode is listed as T. All other groups are D, like Toronto Fire or E like Toronto Police.

If there are Phase 2 groups in use, we list as a Phase 2 system.

Focusing on the original issue, if anyone has any helpful tips, please respond.

HiVolt

Feed Provider
I can move this post if you wish. Please do not post the same question in multiple forums.

If you could move it, that would be great. I just thought i might get a quicker answer from people who are actually monitoring the system and might have tweaked it, vs a general forum.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
There are too many variables in monitoring a digital system, so what P25 settomgs work great for one may be lousy for another. My son and I both have 996XT scanners. The settings that he uses for decent reception don't work for me.

The bottom line is that you'll have to tinker and see what combination of settings gives you the best results. Unfortunately it probably will be time consuming trying the various combinations.

VE3RADIO

My best advice to you is to break up the systems by location and only build the local site/tower in to that bank.. then it wont be roaming through the towers. If you want to have a roaming zone build a separate bank that you can name TOR-ROAM or something.

For example:

TFS EAST - Pharmacy Road Tower
TFS NORTH - Yonge/401 Tower
TFS SOUTH - FCP Tower
TFS WEST - Widdicombe Hill Tower

TFS ROAM (All Towers)

HiVolt

Feed Provider
I do have them in separate systems, and multiple scanners... TFS East is receiving fine for me, in fact I am streaming TFS East and the Toronto Fire East Command here on RR/Broadcastify.

However I cannot pick up the North/South towers like I used to on the analog system, despite having a strong control channel signal, only once in a while a stray conversation or two come in.

HiVolt

Feed Provider
Interesting... I was trying the various P25 settings, with no real success...

I decided to downgrade the firmware from 1.07.03 to v1.06.00, and lo and behold, much better results.

Status
Not open for further replies.