What are some common "Storm Chaser" radio setups like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WX4EMT

Perfect answer ScanFan couldn't have said it better myself. As for WiFi hotspots in the middle of nowhere.... I have been surprised to find open hotspots literally miles from anything. Internet is everywhere and some rural residents hook up their routers and leave them open. I have squatted several times out on the prarie. Not to mention almost every little town "out west" has somewhere to get a signal.

IMHO aircard is the way to go, mine costs about $60.00 a month and there aren't many places that I can't get a signal.

rico47635

This thread has definitely been very informative. I've been a licensed ham for a few months now, and I am planning on taking the spotter classes early next year. I wondered about getting something for radar while in my vehicle, but I've decided I really won't need it at this point. The idea of using a good pair of binoculars sounds a whole lot better than spending $60 a month for an air card that may or may not get a lot of use. I've got the two meter radio and scanner already, so I really don't need much more to be ready. Thanks for all the free advice.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
An air card gets internet from cell phone networks, so if your cellphone gets a signal then you can get internet on your laptop with the card. You can sign up with most major cell phone companies. Also some networks let you use your cell phone as the modem with a USB cable.
If i use a cell phone, is that with a regular cell service or do i have to pay for a seperate internet package?

scanfan03

Premium Subscriber
If i use a cell phone, is that with a regular cell service or do i have to pay for a seperate internet package?

I don't know what cellular service you have, but I think with verizon you have to pay like either 50 or 60 extra a month for the unlimited internet through the phone as a modem. Which beats the cost of activating a new line and paying for an internet card. I have read that the speeds through some phones is just as fast as the internet card too and you can still receive calls while online from what I've read online.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
What we are talking about here is known in the cellphone business as "tethering". They provide you with a cable that runs between usually a USB port on your computer and your cellphone. You then run an applicaition on your computer that establishes an IP connection through your phone so the computer can see the Internet.

Check with your cellphone provider to see if your phone can be used in tether mode. If it can, then ask how much extra they will charge you for the service.

AK9R

Super Moderator
I've been a licensed ham for a few months now, and I am planning on taking the spotter classes early next year.
Rico, I've been doing severe weather spotting in Central Indiana since 1990 or so and that was before I got my amateur radio license. The general concept of Skywarn spotting is to get people in a position to observe the storms and report their observations. Assuming you have enough spotters either in fixed locations or mobile, you really don't need to have people "chasing" in order to keep up with the weather. Of course, we never seem to have enough trained spotters so I welcome your interest in Skywarn.

In Skywarn, your net control operators should either have a direct or closely indirect connection with the NWS forecasters. It's up to the forecasters to identify their areas of interest and pass that along to your net control who can then make sure spotters are in the right places. I've never tried mobile spotting with radar, but I think it would be a huge distraction. Your number 1 priority while spotting is to stay safe--don't be a hazard on the road, don't put yourself in a position where you get hit by the storm, and make sure you have effective escape routes. Number 2 is to observe the weather--pay attention to wind directions and cloud formations--your spotter class should teach you that. Number 3 is to communicate--your observations won't do much good if the NWS doesn't hear what you are seeing.

Keep in mind that the radar cannot see what's happening on the ground. The lowest beam of the WSR-88D radar is 0.5 degrees above the horizon. As the earth curves, that beam gets further and further away from the surface of the earth as the beam moves out from the radar. That's where trained spotters in the field come in. They can tell the NWS forecasters what's happening at the surface and provide the NWS with "ground truth" verifications of what they see on radar.

For more background on correlating radar images to real world observations, check out the presentations by Paul Sirvatka and John Kwiatkowski at http://w9nws.org/node/52.

rico47635

Rico, I've been doing severe weather spotting in Central Indiana since 1990 or so and that was before I got my amateur radio license. The general concept of Skywarn spotting is to get people in a position to observe the storms and report their observations. Assuming you have enough spotters either in fixed locations or mobile, you really don't need to have people "chasing" in order to keep up with the weather. Of course, we never seem to have enough trained spotters so I welcome your interest in Skywarn.

In Skywarn, your net control operators should either have a direct or closely indirect connection with the NWS forecasters. It's up to the forecasters to identify their areas of interest and pass that along to your net control who can then make sure spotters are in the right places. I've never tried mobile spotting with radar, but I think it would be a huge distraction. Your number 1 priority while spotting is to stay safe--don't be a hazard on the road, don't put yourself in a position where you get hit by the storm, and make sure you have effective escape routes. Number 2 is to observe the weather--pay attention to wind directions and cloud formations--your spotter class should teach you that. Number 3 is to communicate--your observations won't do much good if the NWS doesn't hear what you are seeing.

Keep in mind that the radar cannot see what's happening on the ground. The lowest beam of the WSR-88D radar is 0.5 degrees above the horizon. As the earth curves, that beam gets further and further away from the surface of the earth as the beam moves out from the radar. That's where trained spotters in the field come in. They can tell the NWS forecasters what's happening at the surface and provide the NWS with "ground truth" verifications of what they see on radar.

For more background on correlating radar images to real world observations, check out the presentations by Paul Sirvatka and John Kwiatkowski at http://w9nws.org/node/52.

What I am hoping to do is find different spots in the County I can use as vantage points. If a storm is coming in from the south, then I'd go to spot "A". If it's coming in from the west, spot "B", that sort of thing. I am also planning on determining multiple escape routes from each vantage point, just in case I need to get out of the area in a hurry. I don't want to go into any of this unprepared. There's no sense in me getting hurt.

AK9R

Super Moderator
What I am hoping to do is find different spots in the County I can use as vantage points. If a storm is coming in from the south, then I'd go to spot "A". If it's coming in from the west, spot "B", that sort of thing.
Good thinking. Madison County in Indiana has this sort of "pre-plan". When severe weather threatens, their spotters go to one of the pre-planned spots. Generally this is a safer approach than driving around in the middle of a severe weather event trying to find a vantage point.

WX4EMT

Swift

How do you think it compares to this one?

http://www.swiftwx.com/

Rico,

I have used Swift in the past and it is VERY good software. Unfortunately the computer I was using was an older Pentium III and slow plus had very slow and or non existent connections back in those days so it really didn't help much. After I got back home and loaded it into a REAL computer the features were more usable. It still took a long time to load and get set up. Thumbs up for Swift, they have a great product and were among the first, but... I'm sticking with GRLevelX.

K8TEK

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Here is a good set-up a friend of mine ran across...

I had made a post about this guy on the forums, this guy is a total whack job

Let me start by giving a little background information, I am a SKYWARN trained spotter, here we work closely with the county EMA, with a full amateur radio suite in the EOC, with Stormlabs software, and the Mobile Threat Net system, where you can get raw radar from NWS right to your computer via XM sat so no internet connection needed.Anyway one night after shutting down the SKYWARN net and the weather had cleared, I went out for a coffee at the truck stop here in town.

I was sitting here looking at the radar on my laptop and this whackjob in a bright yellow turban (no he is not arabic or east indian) comes up and introduces himself as a storm chaser.

He proceeds to tell me the “science” of storm chasing, he said his turban is the latest in storm chaser protection, saying that if you are too close to the tornado that the suction would pull the turban off your head and spin you like a top and spin you out of the path. And here I thought it was so he could clean the crap out of his pants after it was over.

Then he drags me out to his car so I could see all of his “highly specialized storm chasing equipment”. this whackjob has a flipping direct tv dish mounted to the roof of his reliant station wagon, says it is for his “doppler radar”. He has 8 antenas on this car not counting the direct tv dish. He says two of the antennas are for lightning protection so his “specialized equipment” won’t be damaged.

So do you want to know what his “specialized equipment” consists of? An 8 inch b/w tv, a scanner, and an old analog cell phone that is only capable of calling 911. (oh and after my original post on the forums, I see from the picture he has 2 CB radios).

I was told by a friend that this whackjob lives in Defiance Ohio, and before he got hiscar, he had a tricked out storm chasing bicycle, complete with all the antennas and the sat dish mounted to a rack over the rear tire. Too bad I couldn’t have gotten a picture of THAT setup. With the slight possibility of some storms this afternoon I have a feeling I’ll run into him this evening. I have talked to a lot of whackjobs in my career in emergency services/emergency management, but this guy out shines them all.

Attachments

• weather1.jpg
    weather1.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 1,689
  • weather2.jpg
    weather2.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,753
  • weather3.jpg
    weather3.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 1,622
  • weather4.jpg
    weather4.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,983

WX4EMT

Storm "Whack Job"

Where did he get that Canasta Cup Holder? Is that custom? Where can I get one?

Here's mine:

Attachments

• KG4LEO.JPG
    KG4LEO.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 5,868
This is what I have in my vehicle

"Chase" vehicle is a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer EXT 4WD.

Equipment includes: (All Lighting is AMBER)
-SpeedTech Lights Dual-Pro LED Dash Light,

-SpeedTech Lights Slim 6 light stick with Mulitple Pattern selection and instanst Traffic Advisor,

-SpeedTech Lights LED 4 Bulb Hideaway Kit with Switch Box and user selectable Flash Pattern Change-(bulbs placed in each front turn signal assembly and each backup light housing),

-Motorola CDM 750 4 Channel Mobile VHF Radio with Remote Mount Control Head (currently for sale)

-16 Channel Motorola CP200 Handheld VHF Radio,

-Motorola 16 Channel GP300 Handheld UHF Radio (GMRS Use)
-Motorola CM300 32 Channel UHF Mobile Radio. (GMRS Use)

-Radio Shack PRO-163 Triple Trunking, 1000 Channel Scanner with mobile antenna hookup.

-Tom Tom 125 GPS Unit.

I am a member of our local SKYWARN group. We are managed by our county Emergency Management Office, and run on a County Owned VHF frequency Registerd to the Sheriffs Office. We also have a Weather Operations Center in which we coordinate spotters during "activations". Im also part of the local GMRS group in which we use those frequencies when we go out on our own and not under county eyes.

Im currently looking to sell my CDM750 and upgrade to a CDM1250 (prefer 40WATT, 32 Chan) VHF

Attachments

• Front Edit 2.jpg
    Front Edit 2.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 3,237
  • Front View edit 1.jpg
    Front View edit 1.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1,622
  • rear edit 1.jpg
    rear edit 1.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 3,789
Last edited:

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Just curious how the light bars and LED flashers help you spot the storms?

WX4EMT

Just curious how the light bars and LED flashers help you spot the storms?

LEDs & flashers keep us from getting hit by other motorists when we stop to spot. People don't pay attention anyway and in a storm visibility is seriously reduced. Think of the lights in the same context as a construction crew. The lights don't help you dig the hole but keeps idiots from running you over and putting you in a hole, permanently.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
If you need flashing lights when parked so people don't hit you, you're probably parking in a bad spot to begin with and should move. In all other cases, standard hazard flashers will work just fine. If there's no stopping, standing, or parking on the shoulder of the road, then you shouldn't be doing it, period. Storm spotters do not have any more of a right to violate traffic laws than the general public.

YouTube - Skywarn Emergency Lights - Storm Spotter Class Training

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
LEDs & flashers keep us from getting hit by other motorists when we stop to spot. People don't pay attention anyway and in a storm visibility is seriously reduced.

I have not experienced this.

WX4EMT

If you need flashing lights when parked so people don't hit you, you're probably parking in a bad spot to begin with and should move. In all other cases, standard hazard flashers will work just fine. If there's no stopping, standing, or parking on the shoulder of the road, then you shouldn't be doing it, period. Storm spotters do not have any more of a right to violate traffic laws than the general public.

YouTube - Skywarn Emergency Lights - Storm Spotter Class Training

That is the most compelling argument against visual warning I have ever seen.

Last edited:

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
That is the most compelling argument against visual warning I have ever seen.

Thats the point

Covering your car with flashing lights is not only un-necessary, but dangerous.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.