• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What are talkgroups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
Just worry about the DEC numbers. Talkgroups are not frequencies, but they are what groups users of the system. For example, say the East side police are on talkgroup 16, and the west side is on talkgroup 48. It's only a way of grouping users of a trunked system.

So program in the talkgroups according to the manual, make sure you already have the frequencies (the numbers that start with 8xx.xxx MHz) programmed. Try it and see if it works.

Hope this helps

metalhead

What I need to know is how do I get a frequency out of a DEC number, or am I looking at this wrong?

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
The frequency (such as 856.7375) are what voice is broadcast over, the talkgroups only identify a specific group of users. What you need to do is program the frequencies into the channels in your scanner, then program the talkgroups you want to listen to (the DEC number) into the talkgroup sub-bank. The manual tells you to do all this, look under the trunking section.

metalhead

I think I have problems with the trunking part of this radio. I can't get it to do what it supposed to do as far a trunking. It scans fine but I can't get it to trunk. I bought it used a few years ago but haven't really messed with it untill now.

yankeesdood16

I also have a PRO-94 and was confused at first too but I figured it out when I get to charlotte when I went down to visit family, I took the scanner with me. I think in order to program talk groups for a trunking system you have to be at a location that has trunking. Here in the binghamton ny area of ny its a conventional system.

metalhead

We have a Type II system here but I can't my scanner to scan for trunked channels.

metalhead

LOL, now you tell me. I finally got it tracking, now I have to work on saving the group ID's.

Status
Not open for further replies.