what are the Dare Fire County Fire Remote Receiver RF Link channels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Hi I'm going to be visiting Dare County in a couple of weeks. I saw under its listing "Dare County Fire Remote Receiver RF Link channels". what are these? should i put them in my scanner?

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Flintstone4680 said:
Hi I'm going to be visiting Dare County in a couple of weeks. I saw under its listing "Dare County Fire Remote Receiver RF Link channels". what are these? should i put them in my scanner?

A remote receiver would be used to extend the receive coverage of a system, so a handheld radio (or low power mobile) would be able to "get into" the repeater system better.

You might get some audio traffic depending if you are close (or are in the line of sight of the remote receiver and the main repeater) but it should all be repeated on whatever repeater it is linked to if you can receive it.

SCPD

QRT
so i dont need to put them in my scanner?

and what frequencies should i put in to hear the VIPER system?

Grog

Banned
Flintstone4680 said:
so i dont need to put them in my scanner?

You don't NEED them, but if you have a lot of empty channel slots you can also see what you hear :D

Flintstone4680 said:
and what frequencies should i put in to hear the VIPER system?

Check the VIPER page for where you will be. I've never been to that
part of the state, so I'm not familiar with the area as far as towns and landmarks.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=4087

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
>> You don't NEED them, but if you have a lot of empty channel slots you can also see what you hear

Except for the "curiousity factor," anyone listening to these links will quickly lock them out of the scan list.

I believe the links used on Hatteras Island use pilot tones when voice / audio is not being passed on the link. The link carrier is up and running 24 / 7, broadcasting a pilot tone. The tone mutes when audio is transmitted ... then goes back to broadcasting the pilot tone.

VERY BORING, and prevents the scanner from scanning.

I have logged a fair number of this type of link along the I-85 corridor between Anderson County, S.C. and Atlanta. The continuous tone makes it very easy to find.

Grog

Banned
Well that would not be fun :lol:

Thanks Jeff, was actually hoping you'd stop in as I figured you have more experience with this particular system anyway.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
>> Thanks Jeff, was actually hoping you'd stop in as I figured you have more experience with this particular system anyway.

Experience - no, atleast nothing recent. Memories - yes. I did alot of monitoring on the Outer Banks between '83 and about '93.

I informally knew someone who was involved in upgrading the fire radio equipment on Hatteras Island about 3-4 years ago (maybe longer). He was kind-enough to email me a few times as the upgrade was progressing.

I have also been subscribed to a group called "Dare County Fire Officers Forum" for years. In the past, the list helped me keep up-to-date on fire and ems issues in Dare County. Unfortunately, the "tone" of the list has mellowed, and the interesting dialogue about issues has disappeared.

Webodisk

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Jeff, your right most of the channels have pilot tones on then. I monitor them about once a month when I travel down there

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.