What are the frequencies I can use program in Boca Raton on my Baofeng UV-5R

Status
Not open for further replies.

hill

Premium Subscriber
Do have a ham license?

This radio can only used a ham frequencies in the USA. if you have a license you should already know about 2 meters and 70 centimeters frequencies that many repeaters use.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
He didn't say he was going to transmit.
Unfortunately the Boca Raton police and fire are on a digital trunked system that the Baofeng can't receive. Police are encrypted but fire is not.
Suggest that you check the RRDB and use CHIRP to program the radio. There are some things you can hear just not fire or law enforcement. With a real scanner it is possible to hear fire calls. No scanner can hear encrypted transmissions.

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
All of Palm Beach County P25 Phase II System is "SIMULCAST", on 5 different sites, in which Boca resides on this system. Boca PD is Encrypted "E" for the talk groups that matter. Stash the Baofeng in the drawer and get an SDS100 or SDS200, or Unication G4/G5.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Then why buy a Radio that is called a Two-Way (ie: TX and RX) - go buy a Scanner
Because real radios are generally much better quality than scanners, both in terms of RF performance as well as build quality and battery run time. Now I doubt that applies to a POS Baoturd, but it certainly applies to hardware manufactured by the big players in the industry. Oh yeah and often those radios can be had second-hand cheaper than a $500+ digital scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.