What are the PSR 500 settings to be used with DSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tampatracker

Hello everyone. I just had a discriminator tap (audio only) installed on my PSR 500 by Jerry at G&G electronics. I need to know what the correct settings are to use with DSD version 1.60 to decode Provoice. Right now I have just the defaults set but am not decoding anything. I figure that some of the advanced settings need to be tweaked. I have searched for the answer in these forums with no luck. Anyone have the answer? Thanks, John.

br0adband

DSD doesn't really offer much at all in terms of "tweaking" the decoding parameters, for that level of adjustments and tweaking you'd be better off with DSD+.It's not just a newer improved version of DSD, mind you, not by the same author or authors - that we know of - it's a different program altogether and offers a lot more in terms of those tweaks and configuration. When DSD+ is coupled with another program called dsdtune to automate the "tuning" for better decodes, you can end up with some rather dramatic differences in terms of legibility with the end result.

And yes, DSD+ handles ProVoice too, just as DSD does...

KE5TLF

The included provoice.bat file works just fine as is. There is likely no need to tweak anything there.

If you're using a mic in you are likely overloading it with to high a level
Switch to a line in if possible.
Make sure the gain on the mic in is not checked if you're only option is mic in.
Try a different cable.
Get or build a cable with some attenuation in it.
Adjust the input level in your recording mixer. Usually something in the 10-20% range works on a line level input.
Watch the level in sound control and or unmute the speakers momentarily to see that the input is actually getting something..

tampatracker

Okay I apologize, II guess I did not make myself clear. What I am asking is are there any special settings in the PSR 500's settings menu that need to be set up in order to decode DSD? I have DSD already running with my PSR 800 and it works fine. I know a little bit about DSD. I'm just asking is there any settings that need to be set up for the PSR 500 internally in the unit itself?

Last edited:

RonnieUSA

Okay I apologize, II guess I did not make myself clear. What I am asking is are there any special settings on the PSR 550 and its elf that need to be set up in order to decode DSD? I have DSD already running with my PSR 800 and it works fine. I know a little bit about DSD. I'm just asking is there any settings that need to be set up for the PSR 500 internally in the unit itself?

No, I have the 197, and it works fine using DSD.

tampatracker

The PSR 800 has a option to switch the IF output to off, speaker, or headphones.To enable the unit to provide the correct type of output for DSD I switch IF output to headphone. So what I am hearing is this no such settings are necessary on the PSR 500. Is that correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.