CW What are these signals

dragon48

Picked this up in CW mode on 3502 kHz 05:30 UTC 12/23/2019. The sounds are clearly from two systems, as if people or automated systems are communicating. A real-time PC CW decoder (Cwget) interpreted it as all gibberish, except for one instance of the word test. My radio defaults to CW mode for this frequency, but I have no clue what this is. As of the time of this post, I'm picking up a lot of what appears to be similar signals from 3500 to 3560.

What type of signal is this? Is my recording clean enough to decode? If so, what tool can I use?

https://soundcloud.com/user-437184959%2Fcw-1
Edit - Attaching a picture of the URL, as the forum re-writes the Soundcloud link to a non-working one. Please advise on how to get around this.CW.JPG

Last edited:

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
That is the beginning of the 80 meter amateur band. Although, as you pointed out, I cant hear the link you provided it is likely FT8 activity. I also can not see the image file.

air-scan

Picked this up in CW mode on 3502 kHz 05:30 UTC 12/23/2019. The sounds are clearly from two systems, as if people or automated systems are communicating. A real-time PC CW decoder (Cwget) interpreted it as all gibberish, except for one instance of the word test. My radio defaults to CW mode for this frequency, but I have no clue what this is. As of the time of this post, I'm picking up a lot of what appears to be similar signals from 3500 to 3560.

What type of signal is this? Is my recording clean enough to decode? If so, what tool can I use?

https://soundcloud.com/user-437184959%2Fcw-1
Edit - Attaching a picture of the URL, as the forum re-writes the Soundcloud link to a non-working one. Please advise on how to get around this.View attachment 77269
Better link please?

I have heard Olivia modes being used in the CW frequency ranges.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Just took a listen to 3502.. There's a CW contest on right now. CQ World Wide DX Contest - Home During a contest, CW stations will call 'CQ TEST' - Edit.. Just listened around a bit closer.. Some are just sending TEST followed by thier call signs.

The bottom end of 80 is pretty packed with CW stations right now (03:22 Nov 24 UTC). . Unless you have a tight filter, (500 hZ) you'll have trouble separating them.

Last edited:

dragon48

Just took a listen to 3502.. There's a CW contest on right now. CQ World Wide DX Contest - Home During a contest, CW stations will call 'CQ TEST' - Edit.. Just listened around a bit closer.. Some are just sending TEST followed by thier call signs.

The bottom end of 80 is pretty packed with CW stations right now (03:22 Nov 24 UTC). . Unless you have a tight filter, (500 hZ) you'll have trouble separating them.
Makes sense. While I was trying to decode a different transmission, I saw the text "tty3" among the gibberish. I assume that's known jargon.

ab5r

Premium Subscriber
THAT is called a CW Contest. YES, it is multiple stations "close" or "On" the frequency tuned. Add some attenuation & it might eliminate some.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Ran the audio through two different decoders. I count 4 or 5 different stations with 3 being the most prominent across a 4 kHz slice of audio. The decoding on all the different CW transmissions was nothing but a bunch of gibberish. I see a lot of E's and some other letters and that's it.

a417

Makes sense. While I was trying to decode a different transmission, I saw the text "tty3" among the gibberish. I assume that's known jargon.
tty3 would be the 3rd teletype terminal on a unix system, which has been morphed into meaning the 3rd serial port on a modern linux machine...so someone possibly has a misconfigured service running on the computer - for that CW contest you are listening to that was mentioned earlier.

mistakes happen.