What are these?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asmitty0010

Feed Provider
I've seen these speakers - guessing thats what they are - in a lot of different Communication Centers. Can anybody give me a low down of what they are and who makes them?

( pointed out in yellow )

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 2,337

freqs

Asmitty0010 said:
I've seen these speakers - guessing thats what they are - in a lot of different Communication Centers. Can anybody give me a low down of what they are and who makes them?

( pointed out in yellow )
THE CIRCLED ITEMS LOOK LIKE MOTOROLA SPEAKERS WE HAVE WHAT LOOK LIKE THEM IN ARE TRUCKS WE USE NEX-TEL

KB8UYC

Premium Subscriber
Some insight...

The computer that you are looking at with all the icon's on it with the little motorola speakers sitting in front of it is the RADIO. If this is a police console, it would have Dispatch, Lein, Special events etc.....users can use a desk mic and press the PTT themselves or a floor pedal. The user can also use the mouse to key the radio up. Along with other functions.

The reason there is motorola speakers, is because it is a motorola system!!!

Hope that helps you out...

K4APR

JFish said:
They are Motorola Speakers for the computer..

They are not for the computer. They are tied to a Motorola MCC5500/7500 dispatching console. Motorola actually changed to these when they went to the newer MCC type consoles. The backside of the console has many different connectors, but they actually use many RJ-45 jacks for audio connections ie, the speakers, desk gooseneck mic and other similar items. You will typically see these consoles where areas are doing recent ASTRO25 upgrades.

Last edited:

CanesFan95

A speaker is a speaker. Motorola prolly set it all up to make them look like "special" speakers just to charge more money. Dispatch consoles aren't real radios. They don't have SWR's and get hot when you transmit a lot. It's just a big overpriced glorified computer device that handles audio.

FlashSWT

KE4NYV said:
They are not for the computer. They are tied to a Motorola MCC5500/7500 dispatching console. Motorola actually changed to these when they went to the newer MCC type consoles. The backside of the console has many different connectors, but they actually use many RJ-45 jacks for audio connections ie, the speakers, desk gooseneck mic and other similar items. You will typically see these consoles where areas are doing recent ASTRO25 upgrades.

Funny you said that Jason. The picture is from this thread: ( http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93771 ) showing the new dispatch center in Williamson County, TX where they just upgraded from a Type II to a P25 system.

ncarpenter

Premium Subscriber
Homeboys-Scanna said:
A speaker is a speaker. Motorola prolly set it all up to make them look like "special" speakers just to charge more money. Dispatch consoles aren't real radios. They don't have SWR's and get hot when you transmit a lot. It's just a big overpriced glorified computer device that handles audio.

These speakers are unique to the MCC series radio consoles. They are special because they are electronically controlled by the processor for handling multiple audio outputs. Typically there are two speakers on the setup, one for the 'Selected' channel or talkgroup that the dispatcher is using, and the other speaker handles all the 'Unselected' channels or talkgroups. On the MCC 5500 console, the dispatcher can choose the level of audio for each individual channel. Again, this is accomplished through the processor, allowing the dispatcher many options for audio levels and control. It's a nice thing to have when you are monitoring 10+ channels.

Additionally, although a dispatch console is technically not a radio, it is a controller for an actual radio somewhere else. The SWR meter on the console gets its information from the radio, and the radio...get this...gets warm. I'd much rather have my "glorified" computer over a simple two way radio any day.

On a side note, my center uses a MCC5500 console with an Astro P25 800MHz trunk system (law) and VHF (fire, law backup, road commision, jail) mix. It works like a charm and the audio is crisp and clear.

Asmitty0010

Feed Provider
Thanks for the input guys! Makes since now. I always wondered how dispatch would listen to units in the field. I always wondered if they just had computer speakers or dedicated speakers for each channel they are talking on and one for monitoring the rest etc.

SCPD

QRT
Homeboys-Scanna said:
Motorola speakers for a computer? Surely there was a cheaper option.

If you have Motorola - your Married to Motorola! this includes speakers, Mics, Coax, and everthing else.

slypx

Quebec DB Adm
Premium Subscriber
MaxTracker said:
If you have Motorola - your Married to Motorola! this includes speakers, Mics, Coax, and everthing else.

And worse then in real life because the marriage is extremly expensive and divorce impossible !

Status
Not open for further replies.