• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

What are you reading?

W6SAE

Premium Subscriber
I just finished reading "Flashman and the Angel of the Lord," by George MacDonald Fraser, for the second time. It's from a series of books known as "The Flashman Papers." Very funny reading, but also great historical fiction and a history lesson, as well.

James Grady - "Condor" Series

Has anyone read the two (fairly) recent stories by James Grady? He is the author of _Six Days of the Condor_, from which th film "Three Days of the Condor" was taken. I believe there is a new novel & also a short story, one is Next Day of the Condor & the other is Last Days...

i read the short story & would be interested in the opinions of other readers...

Christopher John Boyce - The Falcon

I'd also be interested in comments from anyone who has read AMERICAN SONS: THE UNTOLD STORY OF THE FALCON AND THE SNOWMAN by Christopher Boyce. Sorry about the all caps, it was a cut & paste.

I have just received a paperback titled "American Conspiracies" loaned to me by my USMC neighbor - we swap books (usually of the military genre) - to keep our conversation to something other than his combat stories and my search and rescue exploits. I'm not a conspiracy theory type of guy usually, but I thought"what the heck"!

That being said, I'm looking forward to seeing what is being put out as the opinion of the author and his collaborator on lies, lies, and more lies the government is feeding us. This book is by Jesse Ventura (Governor of Minnesota '99 - '03, professional wrestling champion, Navy Seal, movie actor, television host and producer, visiting fellow at Harvard Kennedy School of Government and New York Times best-selling author of five books) Jeez, this chap has been there and done it! His collaborator is Dick Russell (an award winning author the back cover tells me) but I don't know what of!

Some of the conspiracies to be dealt with are:
The assassinations of Lincoln, JFK, Malcolm X, RFK, Martin Luther King Jr., The Jonestown Massacre, The Gulf Oil Spill, Lyme Disease, 9/11/2001, the Wall Street conspiracy, Watergate, the elections of 2000, 2004, and 2008. There are several other topics in the list of contents but those I've listed are most interesting to me and I am looking forward to getting into it.

More to come!

Russell (+_+)

Sent from my D2-961G using Tapatalk

I've just finished reading "No Easy Day" by Mark Owen who was a member of Seal Team Six and one of the teams that raided the compound of Osama bin Laden and others of his family that lived there.

It was a very good read and kept me turning pages to keep up with the action. The book starts with the author's early years growing up in Alaska and while in high school reading a book about the Navy Seals, then deciding that's what he wants to do after graduation. Then we follow him through his training, earning his coveted Seal badge and moving from one deployment after another until he gets to join others in the biggest mission. The mission they trained for over a long period of time and was probably the ultimate mission of his career.

Another mission he was a part of was the rescue of captain Richard Phillips and the crew of the freighter Maersk Alabama which was attacked by pirates off the coast of Africa in April 2009.

Another good book in the military genre, and I enjoyed it very much.

Russell

Reading the Secret Sentry and I have finished Spy Secrets That Can Save Your Life.

I have the Sun Tzu audio book on my phone and been listing to that. Looking back at some of the wars we've been in, I don't think we've used some of those tactics described like we should have. Like deception. In WWII we did when we convinced Hitler we weren't going into Normandy. But since then, and from what I heard in the book, we've taken a different approach.

I don't know if Sun Tzu mentions holding conquered ground as I've not got that far in the book yet. But this would be a wise thing to consider. Especially when we left towns in Iraq and insurgents ran right back in there.

Just finished reading Zero day and Trojan Horse in the Jeff Aiken series. I still have Rogue Code, the last book in the series, to read. The books were written by Mark Russinovich. Mark, way back in the day, developed the Windows Sysinternals tools and now works for Microsoft. The books are set in modern day where the protagonist defends the country against cyber terrorists. If you're into that kind of thing, they're a good read.

Been reading How To Be Invisible by the author who's moniker is J.J. Luna. Pretty decent, but what I took away so far was that if you truly want to stay hidden and all that, it requires a major lifestyle change and without that you will be outside of your comfort zone. But all in all the book has good Info. on things like ghost addresses, about using a New Mexico LLC and using that to register your car, etc. This book is the 3rd revised edition. It does touch base on social networking, and well, just stay the hell away from that crap. LOL Pretty much common sense anyway.

I have also been reading another great book called Violance Of Mind by Varg Freeborn. This book is awesome! If you have a CCW or if you are even thinking about a CCW, read this damn book first. I'm on the fourth chapter thus far. This book talks about legal implications with violance and using it as well as how to protect yourself. The author describes how he grew up in what amounts to be hell. And through those experiences has created his own company that helps to train LEO's and what not. Just read the preface on Amazon and I think you'll be pleasntly surprised. He sounds like a no BS kind of guy and the book uses profanity.

Another book I got is called 100 Deadly Skills, and guess what that's about? LOL It was written by a former Navy SEAL who's name is Clint Emerson. Don't be foolish and get the Kindle version as you will won't to see the images. The book comes spiral bound.

I like reading books on these sorts of topics. And I have acquired a "certain set of skills." LMAO

Just finished the Enemies Trilogy by Matthew Bracken. Enemies Foreign and Domestic, Domestic Enemies & Foreign Enemies and Traitors. Pretty scary.

Enemies Foreign and Domestic

I remember reading long ago that the FBI kept a list on all the books one checks out at a library. Not sure if that's true or not, but then again I wouldn't put it past them or in fact be something they'd never check out trying to learn about a subject. Well, with Amazon they may have information on that too. Now looking at the book title, we really do have enemies, foreign, domestic and whiten the government.

KD4IIW

Premium Subscriber
What are you reading at this moment? What genres do you enjoy reading? Who are some of your favorite authors? What magazines and newsletters do you subscribe to? I'll start off.

I'm currently reading "Pledged - The Secret Life of Sororities" by Alexandra Robbins. This is non-fiction, but reads like a novel. Quite an eye opener, makes me very glad I was never in a sorority.

I like reading just about anything, fiction, non-fiction, history, etc. My favorite genre is murder mysteries. Some of my favorite authors are Max Collins, Patricia Cornwell, Clive Cussler, Vince Flynn, James Patterson, and just about anyone who writes Star Trek novels.

I only subscribe to one magazine - Navy Times. Sort of like the National Enquirer for Navy stuff, but fun to read.

Post your favorite books and authors.

I am reading Texas Ranger by james Patterson and Andrew Bourelle