What areas are Encrypted OR what does it sound like? NOT a encryption discusion form. Just need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

scout14

Feed Provider
Does anyone know which law enforcment agencies in the Richmond area have radio encryption? I listen to many differnt agencies around me and Im having a hard time telling if its encrypted or not. Trying to program my scanner so it will lock out thoese talk groups and I can listen to what I want. OR does anyone know how to tell if radio traffic is encrypted or not? NOT trying to start a discussion about encryption I just need help in what is and what is not and what it sounds like. Trying to lock out thoes frequencies in my scanner so I can listen to what I want.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know which law enforcment agencies in the Richmond area have radio encryption? ...Trying to lock out thoes frequencies in my scanner so I can listen to what I want.
Henrico, Chesterfield, Richmond, and Hanover are 100% ENC on their law enforcement talkgroups.

As mentioned above, depending on which scanner you have, the encryption may be skipped over altogether without you having to do anything.

n5ims

If your scanner doesn't skip over it due to the encryption, it will sound just like a non-encrypted digital signal heard on a standard scanner, just digital hash noise. On RF, the signal is the same, encrypted or not it's only when it tries to decode the digital signal will the difference be known. There is a flag in the header that indicates the signal is encrypted but just by listening to the signal you'll never notice that. Your radio will notice since it has to read the header to know what to do with the data stream that follows. This is how scanners that skip over encrypted signals know to skip them and move on. Be aware that this is a simplification but hopefully gives you the answer you were looking for on the "how does it sound" part of your question.

fredva

Feed Provider
State police dispatch is not currently encrypted but there is some encryption on their tactical talkgroups. Once source is saying that the state police will be 100% encrypted after a future upgrade. Time will tell.

fredva

Feed Provider
If its provoice, then I'd say it sounds like Charlie Brown's school teacher talking to the class, except sped up.
I don't know if there are any EDACS systems with ProVoice still left in Virginia. Those systems are no longer supported by the manufacturer, and generally have been replaced with P25 systems.

kainixon2187

Premium Subscriber
IS there any indication within the RR database a dept, channel is encrypted?
Yes. Under mode or mod it will have an “e” or “E.” A lowercase e is partially encrypted while an uppercase E is fully encrypted. For example:

TGID Mode Alpha Description
1205 TE PD Disp Police Dispatch

or

TGID Mode Alpha Description
1205 Te PD Disp Police Dispatch

or

Frequency Alpha Description Mod
853.4875 APD 1 Police 1 P25E

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
Henry County and Pittsylvania County are both partially encrypted on law. Martinsville City and Danville City are in the clear.

scout14

Feed Provider
Thank you all for your help and the resurces provided. Thank You!

Status
Not open for further replies.