What ARRTC (Centers) to Listen to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay427

I have been cheating and using the LiveATC to listen in.

I would like to get some input for what you think is the most busy and interesting ARRTC Sectors to listen in on?

A second question if I may indulge, certain Sectors better during the day vs night (in the USA)?

Realize "interesting" is subjective, your best story would be great. I'm sure the feeds quality very greatly on LiveATC, that may play into someones decision too.

Lately I have been parked on ZBW Boston Center (AL22/ATH38/CAM39), to be honest I have no clue what the all that stuff in the ( ) means!

My end goal is to learn what they are really talking about. I have pick up some of the lingo but have a ways to go I'm sure, just an old guy looking for something interesting to do over the winter months!

Thanks,

Jay

AI7PM

Premium Subscriber
Yes, "subjective". The centers vary in what they deal with, and the sectors within vary as well, and that all varies with time of day, weather, and numerous other bits.

Those (AL22, ATH38, CAM39) are sector names and numbers. All sectors have a number the center computer system recognizes the sector by. Depending on what center one is in, the controllers refer to their sectors by name or number, or either depending on who they are coordinating with.

Since you're using LiveATC, spend some time listening to the various centers and sectors available, including Canada, Shanwick, etc.

RadioDitch

Field Operations Member
Premium Subscriber
Since you're using LiveATC, spend some time listening to the various centers and sectors available, including Canada, Shanwick, etc.

Shanwick Oceanic and Gander Oceanic are always fun to listen to. Most of the reports are sent via CPDLC, or Controller Pilot Data Link Communications, but there's still plenty of check-ins and some position reports via HF to Gander and Shanwick. And there's always at least a procedurally strict Lufthansa pilot or two that makes for good entertainment when their Oceanic clearance is modified. Gander is available on LiveATC, and Shanwick you can enjoy via a remote SDR.

And it's not reallllly cheating in this day and age. ;)

wscranston

Premium Subscriber
I have been cheating and using the LiveATC to listen in.

I would like to get some input for what you think is the most busy and interesting ARRTC Sectors to listen in on?

A second question if I may indulge, certain Sectors better during the day vs night (in the USA)?

Realize "interesting" is subjective, your best story would be great. I'm sure the feeds quality very greatly on LiveATC, that may play into someones decision too.

Lately I have been parked on ZBW Boston Center (AL22/ATH38/CAM39), to be honest I have no clue what the all that stuff in the ( ) means!

My end goal is to learn what they are really talking about. I have pick up some of the lingo but have a ways to go I'm sure, just an old guy looking for something interesting to do over the winter months!

Thanks,

Jay
ZBW is good since you have transatlantic traffic in addition to the local traffic to/from the regional airports. Gets very interesting late afternoon with all the international flights heading out over the Atlantic.
Following is good reading (they have a section on the enroute centers):

And of course as others have said listening to the HF stuff over the ocean can be interesting, but a whole nother domain. Not as good as "back in the day" since a lot of stuff moved to satellite - used to hear very interesting things back in the 80s and 90s.

jay427

ZBW is good since you have transatlantic traffic in addition to the local traffic to/from the regional airports. Gets very interesting late afternoon with all the international flights heading out over the Atlantic.
Following is good reading (they have a section on the enroute centers):

And of course as others have said listening to the HF stuff over the ocean can be interesting, but a whole nother domain. Not as good as "back in the day" since a lot of stuff moved to satellite - used to hear very interesting things back in the 80s and 90s.

Thanks for the input, I do like HF over the ocean, but as you said not a ton of traffic so to speak. I'm getting lazy, used to use my HF rig more about 20 years ago too.

jaymatt1978

I use liveatc.net all the time and love tracking the flights on flightaware.com. Very interesting in listening to different centers.
from Cape May I can hear most of the NY Center and DC sites, and one Boston site

jay427

Been mostly just using Live ATC app and the HF rig for Gander. The routes on HF are still my favorite but it's just not that busy, at least when im on.

MrColad

When I am on the road I listen to the entire VHF airline/FBO bandplan while on the move and listen to the in place ARTCC local Rcags when I am at the hotel. At home like jaymatt I watch the local airport on Flightaware while monitoring the tower on Liveatc. No better combination for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.