What brand of scanner ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankM

Premium Subscriber
I am thinking I might need to get a portable scanner that will get the P25 Phase 2. My Radio Shack one does not now. Does anyone have a suggestion ??? Uniden, Radio Shack, Whistler ??

Thank you

mark432k

KC0LRU
That's a good question that I ask myself several times.

I don't actually own one, someday I will, is the Unication G5. From what I understand it does a splendid job dealing with a simulcast system, such as Sioux Falls.

Otherwise, the "best" is like a Ford/Chevy conversation. Everyone you speak with will have a different opinion. Each brand has it's pluses and minuses along with different features. You just have to look at each brand, what they have to offer and determine which features are the most important to you.

I don't actually own any traditional handhelds, just base/mobile. With that being said, I do use my Homepatrol 1 as a handheld from time to time. It's a versatile radio easily used in many applications.

SCPD

QRT
That's a good question that I ask myself several times.

I don't actually own one, someday I will, is the Unication G5. From what I understand it does a splendid job dealing with a simulcast system, such as Sioux Falls.

Otherwise, the "best" is like a Ford/Chevy conversation. Everyone you speak with will have a different opinion. Each brand has it's pluses and minuses along with different features. You just have to look at each brand, what they have to offer and determine which features are the most important to you.

I don't actually own any traditional handhelds, just base/mobile. With that being said, I do use my Homepatrol 1 as a handheld from time to time. It's a versatile radio easily used in many applications.

The G5 will actually not work on the SD state system. For the time being the system is a motorola type II trunking protocol system, not a full P25 system like other states. In 5 years when the update is complete the G5 will work here, but till then save that money

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
There's no benefit to buying a Unication unless your local system(s) are simulcast. I prefer the Uniden 436 because it has a better receiver than the Whistler (it is better at rejecting adjacent channel interference if you have broadcasts on adjacent frequencies), and the 436 allows you to connect a GPS and automatically scan local traffic while traveling anywhere in the USA or Canada.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
3rd Vote. I highly recommend the Uniden 436/536 HP over any Whistler product. Please, realize, I used to be a strong advocate for GRE, which was purchased by Whistler. However, they have failed to step up to the plate regarding radio performance. I know, without a shadow of a doubt, there will be other listeners reporting the opposite; however, I would review the many threads that have been written about Whistler products. Then, you can judge for yourself. I have monitored the system you are wanting to hear with success. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.