What cable connectors do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobilman44

Hi,

Another rookie question......

I'm looking to buy the Omnix Antenna for attic installation. I have a Uniden 436.

I will need a cable but am frustrated trying to determine what type connectors I need on each end of the cable.

Could anyone spell it out to me in "rookie language"?

Thank you!

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
According to the website the Omnix requires a male N connector on the coax feed. The scanner has an SMA. As for coax you will need to decide on the type based on the distance to the scanner and the bands you want to monitor. You may need adapters. For example, you can't put an SMA connector on large diameter coax whereas N connectors are generally designed for RG8, LMR400, RG213 etc.

wtp

which one ?

i see they make a scanner base antenna.
the connector on that one is N female.
so that needs an N male
and the 436 is SMA female, needs a SMA male.

so you would want N male to SMA male.

but if you want to try it on other scanners with BNC female.
and it would work with the adapter on the 436
in that case i would get N male to BNC male.

Mobilman44

OK, I believe I understand........

Could you supply the names of trusted cable dealers?

Thank you!
PS: This is pretty hard for me to be the "rookie" as I am considered a seasoned pro in various other activities, like mechanics, model railroading, firearms, gardening and such........

Ubbe

Get RG6 cable and get the F connectors that matches it from the same place. There are 4 different sizes.
Get a $2 coax stripper https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rotary-Coa...-RG6-Stripper-Coax-Rotary-Cutter/292503357871
Get a $3 adaptor for the antenna https://www.ebay.com/itm/N-Type-mal...r-connector-for-Wireless-antenna/160707897359
and a $3 adaptor cable for the scanner https://www.ebay.com/itm/F-Female-t...0cm-8-for-Wireless-Pigtail-Cable/263637955499

You can probably source these things locally or at least in country for a quicker delivery time.

/Ubbe

Mobilman44

Thanks all, I really appreciate your help. It isn't easy jumping into a new area of interest when you know of no one that has any experience or knowledge of it. That is where this forum fills a huge void, and frankly without it I would not have bought the scanner in the first place!

ENJOY!!!!

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Actually you can eliminate coax adapters and buy an assembled cable with the proper connectors installed.

Ubbe

It's more difficult to route a coax with connectors already attached to it.
RG6 and F connectors are as easy as it can be to simply strip the coax and screw on the connector.
And just as easy to unscrew if needed to.

The cost/performance of RG6 can never be beaten. There are better coax but they are thicker and much more expensive and harder to fit contacts to, which are hugely more expensive.

/Ubbe

Mobilman44

I am ordering a built up cable and it hit me...........should not the SMA connector to the Uniden 436 be a FEMALE, rather than a male as suggested previously?

RogueSteward

I am ordering a built up cable and it hit me...........should not the SMA connector to the Uniden 436 be a FEMALE, rather than a male as suggested previously?

I'm pretty sure the uniden sma connector is female, so you would need an sma male on the wire.

Mobilman44

I'm looking at the "threaded protrusion" where the antenna attaches and it would seem to be male.

Perhaps the type of connector makes the distinction of male/female unlike what I am used to with other electronics. I'm confused.

RogueSteward

I'm looking at the "threaded protrusion" where the antenna attaches and it would seem to be male.

Perhaps the type of connector makes the distinction of male/female unlike what I am used to with other electronics. I'm confused.

The gender in all electronic cabling connectors is based on the center conductor, not the threaded portion.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Hi,

Another rookie question......

I'm looking to buy the Omnix Antenna for attic installation. I have a Uniden 436.

I will need a cable but am frustrated trying to determine what type connectors I need on each end of the cable.

Could anyone spell it out to me in "rookie language"?

Thank you!

SMA connectors come in both genders. The BCD436HP SMA connector on the radio is female. The connector you want on your cable would be refered to as a male SMA.

Attachments

• Capture (Phone) (2).jpeg
    Capture (Phone) (2).jpeg
    28.1 KB · Views: 199
  • sma-male.jpg
    sma-male.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

It's clear as mud! :D

Mobilman44

Ahhhh, I see the light (with the help of a good magnifier!

Thank you all for your patience. The antenna/cable will be ordered within the hour.

Ubbe

Generally speaking If connectors have a pin in the middle it is a male.

With SMA connectors it is a male if the threads are on the inside and a pin in the middle and a female if the threads are on the outside and a hole in the middle of the connector. They also have RP Reverse Polarity where the pin in the middle then are female and if there is a hole in the middle it is reversed and called SMA RP male. The SMA RP connectors are always used with WiFi antennas and some 2-way radios. The scanners I've seen have always been standard female SMA with the antennas having the male SMA.

/Ubbe

Mobilman44

The antenna/cables were ordered yesterday (dpdproductions) and hopefully will arrive in a week or so. I can already see the possibility of getting a "base station" receiver and keeping the 436 strictly for portable use. We will see!

Ubbe

It's convenient to order everything from the same place. I notice that they use RG8x with a 7dB attenuation at 450MHz and 100feet when RG6 have 4dB and the total coax cost is less than half when using RG6 and all neccesary connectors and pigtails.

What I like with RG6 and its F connectors are that you can use cheap standard tv/satellite dish stuff like attenuators and splitters and the connectors are $5 for a pack of 10.

/Ubbe

fire701

Feed Provider
What BNC Connector do I need

I need to know what BNC connector I need to hook to the attached pictures of number on my coax. I have BNC Male Crimp Connector - RG59 & RG62 and the barrel and the copper pin are not big enough.
Need Help and where to order from

Attachments

• IMG_1296.jpg
    IMG_1296.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1297.jpg
    IMG_1297.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 104
Status
Not open for further replies.