What can I do with my new handheld/license?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb2crk

I'm not trolling, I've agreed with what's been said before me. Nor am I being mean. If these are questions he is having, similar ones were on my exam. Which is why I recommend a bit more studying.

I agree with everything you said. Most if not all of the questions that were asked were on both the tests i took back in the Eighties. Study and learn the material and he will be better off. I had studied the material for four years while trying to learn morse code so i could get my novice and tech. Could have been a general back in 87 if i could get the 13 wpm morse code down. But i had to wait until the code was reduced to 5wpm and was grandfathered into general. The important thing is learn the material and how to use it and not just memorizing it. Memorizing will get you through the test but learning it will serve him for years.

k8wtf

Thanks. Ok I have one last question, then I'll leave you guys alone, I promise! I have several scanners and I've found it quite easy to just manually scan with my ham radio to find people chatting. When I have a license and I want to join in, how do I find out if the frequency I found is a repeater and if so, how do I find the PL Tone and proper offset for the repeater so that I can join in eventually? I heard that you usually get that from a directory, but if I just manually found the channel and am not near a computer, is there any way to get that?

Example: Today I just found people chatting on 448.062 by simply scanning the frequencies.

According to the band plan, 447-450mhz is where repeater outputs/inputs are, so you were likely listening to either the repeater output or input frequency.

ARRL Band Plan: Band Plan

As someone else mentioned, all repeaters have a regular station ID, and some will include the offsets and PL tones in use. You will still want to use a repeater guide to find others, and to get the PL/offset information if it can't be determined otherwise.

One thing the band plan doesn't make clear is that just about anything in the lower half of the band (except the satellite range) will be SSB and not FM, so you won't pick much, if anything, up on your handheld there.

If you want to talk on FM simplex, you would want to look around 446.000mhz. While there's no reason you couldn't do so, people usually don't call CQ much on FM - generally it's "This is <callsign> listening" or similar. Tune around 446 and see if you hear anything in your area, although I doubt you will pick up much.

In my area at least, there is a fair amount of FM simplex activity on 146.46, and on the 2m FM calling frequency 146.52, so you might want to check those out as well. If you make contacts on 446.0 or 146.52, it's courteous to move up or down a bit to keep the calling frequency open for others.

LtDoc

Just as information.
Some dual band radios can 'scan' for those PL tones, or tell you if one is being used. I'm not aware of any HT's that do that, but that certainly doesn't mean that they can't. I know that the Yaesu '7800 and the Kenwood '71A can do that, no idea about others.
- 'Doc

MeddleMan

Just a note for the next reader(s)...

...all of my current hand-helds, can scan for tones:

Icom ic-v8

Icom ic t-70a

alinco 1.25m

Yaesu vx-6

Fun feature, even for out of band studies. This is so I can avoid interference on MURS and GMRS, as I tend to not interfere with others.

W2NJS

FWIW, Yaesu HTs have had CTCSS scan for many years. You put the radio on the frequency and then activate the tone scan and the radio stops scanning and opens up the audio when the tone in use is heard and then the displays it on the radio. Especially useful if the agency's repeater you're searching uses different tones for tx and rx and you're close enough to monitor the field (input) units. Also works on DPL.

Status
Not open for further replies.