• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What can I do with what I have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpringHill

I've recently come to own 2 Motorola HT1250 LS+ and one CDM1550 LS+ in the UHF band. I've posted a few times in regards to questions about them but I feel I honestly need some deeper understanding. I have these three radios and I own the latest CPS/programming cables but I have no idea what I can truly do with them and what is legal. I own some "business band" vhf Motorola radios and moving over into the pro world is a whole new ball game. I have a general understanding of two way radios and I do know what CPS does I just don't know what it all means and how it all works together. I HAVE done extensive research but it all leads me down bunny trails (repeaters/talkaround, arps, squelch and codes, ect, etc.) as I'm easily distracted by learning and I just get lost in the never ending puzzle that is "two way". I just need to know what I can do with what I have! Any help is appreciated!

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
The CDM series are great radios. I have a couple of 1550's that were surplussed from our fleet. I use mine for both GMRS and Amateur use. If you're not licensed, there ARE things you COULD do, but I doubt you will find much help from the users here.

I'm sure you already know, GMRS licensing is cheap, and it covers your entire family.

SpringHill

ill be leaving town tomorrow morning so for the moment ive got one 1250 hooked up to my computer broadcasting my department to zello. its all working correctly but there seems to be a lot of line noise or white noise coming through when they transmit. right now im just using a 3.5mm off the handsfree mic into the computer which isnt ideal but im not sure how else id run it. any ideas on the noise or other wiring options? thanks all!

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
FYI... Along with some other pending changes to the Personal Radio Services, apparently the FCC is moving to extend the GMRS license period from five to ten years (for the same price), so you might want to wait a bit if you're planning on getting a GMRS license.

John

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
ill be leaving town tomorrow morning so for the moment ive got one 1250 hooked up to my computer broadcasting my department to zello. its all working correctly but there seems to be a lot of line noise or white noise coming through when they transmit. right now im just using a 3.5mm off the handsfree mic into the computer which isnt ideal but im not sure how else id run it. any ideas on the noise or other wiring options? thanks all!

If you unplug the cable (interfacing to the sound card) from the radio, is the noise still present?

SpringHill

If you unplug the cable (interfacing to the sound card) from the radio, is the noise still present?

Nope, that's how I know it's line noise. The cable isn't ran next to anything carrying current and it's pretty shielded regardless. Everything is properly connected and seated properly

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Nope, that's how I know it's line noise. The cable isn't ran next to anything carrying current and it's pretty shielded regardless. Everything is properly connected and seated properly

Your pulling amplified audio off of portable if I'm reading your setup correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpringHill

Your pulling amplified audio off of portable if I'm reading your setup correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It shouldn't be "amplified" other than just what the radio sends to the hands free unit. It's set to vox obviously, but I have tinkered with the gains and hold/release times. I've also noticed that every once in a while I'll get that white noise transmitting trough and keying up zello even if there is no radio traffic. Maybe once for 10 seconds 2 times daily. Atleast that's the average to date.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hey thanks for the heads up! Any idea on when that is?

Later on in the summer, IF the new rules get approved.

The new rules will be discussed at an FCC meeting in May. If there are no issues, MOST of the new rules will go into effect 90 days after that..

As has been said, without an FCC issued license you cannot transmit with these radios. There are no "license free" services that these radios would qualify under.

They make great receivers, as you've discovered, but that'll likely get boring after a while.

Amateur radio is an option, as you can use them on the 70 centimeter amateur radio band. Each individual person requires their own license.

GMRS might be an option. One license would cover your whole family. Putting one of these in as a base radio at your home, one in a vehicle, and having the portables, would make a pretty good setup. There are some type acceptance issues that would get in the way, but there are some trying to get that addressed in the proposed rule changes.

cmdrwill

I wonder IF he is getting his "audio" from the correct place?
Off the speaker leads IS BAD and a no no. Use the Filtered Audio pin, and that is line level and not affected by the volume control. You still need a DC blocking capacitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.