What can I hear in Ottawa now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdoucer

Hi:

Just starting with this group and wondering what can be heard in Ottawa and what I need to listen to it. I know that police is out but what about Fire and Ambulance?

Is the new Uniden D396T worth it or is the 330T relatively good enough?

What about OPP?

Thanks,
Mike

polo_762

Well, City of Ottawa Fire is on the City Wide EDACS system.

As far as EMS goes, they used to be on the above mentioned system but have since switched to the provincial Fleetnet system Zone 2 The OPP are on the same system, but their talkgroups are digital, so if you want to hear some police action the 396 might be a better choice. I personally find with my 246t that reception on the Fleetnet system is poor, and at a lower volume....

There are a few interesting conventional channels in the area, such as the OC Transpo (Transit) police and various security services, such as Carleton U, minto security, and Ottawa U (however, their radio comms are in French). Of Course, not everyone wants to hear the rent-a-cops.

All of this info can be found on the RR database under the Ottawa Link

Happy Scanning.

mdoucer

So EMS is on Fleetnet but you can get it with say a BC 330T(not digital and not encripted?) and Fire is on the Edacs. Is fire in the clear or digital or digital encription?

Thanks,
Mike

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Fire in Ottawa is in the clear on the EDACS System. And so is Fleetnet MTO Road Ops, and EMS.

I have a BC246T and it works great even though it doesn't do NFM for Fleetnet. FM is just fine though. No need to be too picky.

mdoucer said:
So EMS is on Fleetnet but you can get it with say a BC 330T(not digital and not encripted?) and Fire is on the Edacs. Is fire in the clear or digital or digital encription?

Thanks,
Mike

polo_762

Oh, how sweet it will be if there ever comes a Pro-Voice capable scanner (Trunktracker V perhaps?)

mdoucer

I'm sure "they" would just think of something else.

Once you're digital you can do just about anything you want with the bits and bites on the manufacturing side ;-(

Mike

Wreckmaster

it's not uncommon to hear OCRP ,but it is usually just just training ops,or one way dispatch reports to officers,like running off a guy's rap sheet,but you will never hear the patrol car end of the conversation,If you just want Fire,By-Law,city maintenance crews,you can hear them well on any old uniden trunktracker2 unit like a 245xlt,or a BCT-8,which can be programmed by hand in about 10 minutes,on the Edacs wide system,.............a pro97 or a 246,330 or 780xlt will get you all the edacs and the bell analog side of the fleetnet system,which is also adding EMS to the mix,so you can get about everything in the RR database,(except APCO25) the nice thing about the 246 and newer unidens is that they can be programmed (via RR database and your PC) in less than 20 minutes,the pro97 is a good trunktracker and I can set them up in about a 1/2 hour, manually seems easier to set them up than using the software,as they too trunk well off of the control channel,,,and if you want OPP,and MTO enforcement,then the 296/796 396 or 996 are all good choices,and are very simple to upload on your PC.you will have so many frequencies with a digital scanner in Ottawa,that you will be locking alot of further away areas out,,I have no problems picking up East Kingston,Renfrew,Pembroke,all of Ottawa and way east to rockland/alfred OPP and EMS with my 396,and my 296's,but I use a good rooftop antenna on my truck,the std. duckie on the 396 way outperforms the 296,and IMO the 396 is a much more complex unit,but more user friendly and easier to program,via PC software than the 296,but the 296,once setup, trunks awesome and also runs off of the control channel excellent on the fleetnet system. so basically for $100-150 you can get fire/bylaw/ parking control/alot of other conventional freq.'s, for about $175-350 you will add EMS and fleetnet analog trunking,and for $600+ the whole pkg..so, enjoy whatever you buy. p.s. like other's above stated the 246 is a great scanner but is very low volume on fleetnet,I sold my few off and replaced them with a pro97(very decent) and a 330 and a 780xlt,I think the BC15 would be a good buy also for analog trunking.

Wreckmaster

it's not uncommon to hear OCRP ,but it is usually just just training ops,or one way dispatch reports to officers,like running off a guy's rap sheet,but you will never hear the patrol car end of the conversation,If you just want Fire,By-Law,city maintenance crews,you can hear them well on any old uniden trunktracker2 unit like a 245xlt,or a BCT-8,which can be programmed by hand in about 10 minutes,on the Edacs wide system,.............a pro97 or a 246,330 or 780xlt will get you all the edacs and the bell analog side of the fleetnet system,which is also adding EMS to the mix,so you can get about everything in the RR database,(except APCO25) the nice thing about the 246 and newer unidens is that they can be programmed (via RR database and your PC) in less than 20 minutes,the pro97 is a good trunktracker and I can set them up in about a 1/2 hour, manually seems easier to set them up than using the software,as they too trunk well off of the control channel,,,and if you want OPP,and MTO enforcement,then the 296/796 396 or 996 are all good choices,and are very simple to upload on your PC.you will have so many frequencies with a digital scanner in Ottawa,that you will be locking alot of further away areas out,,I have no problems picking up East Kingston,Renfrew,Pembroke,all of Ottawa and way east to rockland/alfred OPP and EMS with my 396,and my 296's,but I use a good rooftop antenna on my truck,the std. duckie on the 396 way outperforms the 296,and IMO the 396 is a much more complex unit,but more user friendly and easier to program,via PC software than the 296,but the 296,once setup, trunks awesome and also runs off of the control channel excellent on the fleetnet system. so basically for $100-150 you can get fire/bylaw/ parking control/alot of other conventional freq.'s, for about $175-350 you will add EMS and fleetnet analog trunking,and for $600+ the whole pkg..so, enjoy whatever you buy. p.s. like other's above stated the 246 is a great scanner but is very low volume on fleetnet,I sold my few off and replaced them with a pro97(very decent) and a 330 and a 780xlt,I think the BC15 would be a good buy also for analog trunking. I have nothing against the Radio Shack radios,I just only have experience with the pro97 and find that it performs very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.