What can I replace my Baofeng UV-5R with for analog mobile monitoring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gsquared

So, I do one thing with my UV-5Rs, I listen to an FD dispatch channel for calls and then manually move to one of their tac channels depending on where dispatch sends the firefighters. That's all I use it for as most other govt services around here have gone encrypted and is why I sold my scanner gear a couple of years ago. Anyway, the UV-5R (with Nagoya NA-771) inside the house works perfect for listening to calls and I get perfect signal where I sit.

When I leave the house, I bring the UV-5R in the vehicle and connect it to my Nagoya UT-72 which is mounted on the roof. Once I start moving, I get the usual crackling and intermittent signal drops that I know exists mostly because of the $25 build quality of the UV-5R. So, I was wondering if stepping up (loose term) to something like the QYT KT-8900 or Uniden BC355N Mobile Scanner will take care of the cracks and drops. Like I said, I only listen to one dispatch channel in the 154mHz range and all of the tac channels are within 151-159mHz so I don't want to spend a lot of $$ on a radio for just this purpose. Plus once they make the move over to their P2 and go encrypted, whatever radio I get will become a paperweight.

I like the look of the KT-8900 but will consider the BC355N even though it looks like a straight up kid's toy. I don't need the KT-8900 for it's HAM purposes since I don't have a license and have no need to transmit so, it may be overkill for my purpose. Any advice would be appreciated. Below are the freqs I listen to.Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 4.19.56 PM.png

bharvey2

For your purposes, almost any older analog scanner will do. The cheapest new ones I see on Amazon are sub $100. You might even check out a few sites like RR for people selling off used ones.

With regard to the crackling sounds, I'd inspect your antenna / cable connections. Bad joints could certainly cause that problem. There general dropouts though are likely a radio issue.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
The BC355N is not much of a radio...It got terrible intermod while mobile, and is not very user friendly. Yes I actually have one, and it is scanning 4 ATC channels at the house and that's it. Got it used for $30 so if fills a void in what I want to listen to.
I would say the BC125 is your best bet. Good on VHF and very good on aircraft frequencies. After the switch to P25 for the FD you would have something that is more then a paperweight. Ham, railroad, aircraft are a few things it will receive well if your interests expand

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Uniden BC125AT is my go-to analog for "on the move." I like the Alpha Tagging that the BC75XLT does NOT do.

Yes, this BC125AT would indeed be a better choice if he wants alpha tagging. The reasons I suggested the 75...
1) He's has a specific limited use in mind.
2) He's replacing a cheap Baofeng
3) He didn't mention a price limit.

That was the least expensive decent model I could come up with, but yes, I'd definitely recommend spending the extra for the BC125AT.

Gsquared

is it real static or fence posting/flutter ?
Recorded this just now. This WX freq didn't drop out like the FD dispatch channel sometime does but, the flutter is pretty much the same. Again, this only happens while in motion above 20mph.

Should the Uniden BC125AT be better at suppressing this picket fencing/flutter? I checked my MAG mount and cable and everything is like new as I didn't use it that much because of the Baofeng issue.

Last edited:

Gsquared

Yes, this BC125AT would indeed be a better choice if he wants alpha tagging. The reasons I suggested the 75...
1) He's has a specific limited use in mind.
2) He's replacing a cheap Baofeng
3) He didn't mention a price limit.
I do like the alpha tagging if that means the frequencies have names associated with them. When programming the UV-5R with Chirp, once I get the freqs from the RR database, the channel names show up in the display. That really helps when dispatch assigns a tactical channel versus having to memorize the frequencies. I'll go research the BC125AT. Thanks.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
It charges thru a USB port. I had one a couple of years ago, and just threw it in the center console, connected the antenna and it worked for hours...depending on the circumstances, I would charge it at nite from the computer or sometimes at work, same thing. I do remember replacing the included rechargeable batteries with something else after a year or so.

Gsquared

+1 on the Uniden BC-125 AT. It's a superior and cost effective alternative to the Baofeng (or pretty much any CCR) for the OP's purpose.
Thank you. To your knowledge, it doesn't suffer from the issues I posted above?

cfsimmont

Premium Subscriber
Just about ANY scanner would be a step up from a Baofeng. The BC125AT like others have said is an excellent choice. Keep an eye on the classifieds as many used scanners are posted and even though they are used and sometimes older they still work well. I just picked up a BC346XT that works great and was well worth the price.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
BC125AT a great choice and does a real good job on both commercial and military aircraft for a totally different kind of listening in additional to the other analog frequencies.

lu81fitter

The 355N does not do PL/DCS and will pick up anything on that frequency. If you're going to bolt it in your car, get the BCT15X. Rock solid unit and can do PL/DCS. You won't be disappointed. All of your listening appears to be VHF-HI. An 18" whip antenna will work just fine with that radio. I have 3 vehicles set up that way. All drilled in NMO mounts. Works great!

EDIT

I see that one of the Knox Co fire channels is P25. You'll need a digital radio to monitor that.

Last edited:

KC2CQD

Premium Subscriber
If you're not concerned about the P25 channel, then a better quality external antenna will solve some of your issues.
I'd recommend a dual-band.
You'll never get rid of all the picket fencing when you're driving around, but you can clean it up a bit.
As an added bonus, if you get your Technician class amateur ticket you can transmit on 2m and 70cm as well.
Avoid the Chinese knock-offs if you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.