• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What can I use this radio for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

graywoulf

Do I take it you decided to challenge the Tech Exam and passed?
I wish. I got caught up in the excitement and forgot all about it. I guess that I should wait and take the test with my instructor anyway. At least then, if I ace it, I can rub it in but then again, he will probably gloat and say it was his superb teaching skills that got me there. Either way, I win. Still, the hamfest was a great experience and I will shop solo at the next one.

graywoulf

I'd not assume it's been rewired/rejiggered to work with the Kenwood. Some of the voltages used between the microphone and the radio will be different, and unless someone spent a silly amount of time developing a circuit to convert them, it's really not a good idea to try and use it.

KMC-35's are cheap, just make sure you are getting a real Kenwood one. There are a lot of cheap Chinese knockoffs out there.
Other option is the KMC-36, which is basically the same microphone with the DTMF keys. You'll probably never need DTMF, but it won't hurt.
Just letting you know that I found a good used genuine Kenwood KMC-36 mic on ebay. I questioned the seller about it before I bought it and was told that it is a Kenwood mic and if I don't like it I can return it for free. Now I guess I need to find an antenna for it. Thanks again for your advice.

graywoulf

Well here I am again asking more questions about the 8180. I finally got an antenna for listening with and I can't find any information on how to just scan the available frequencies. I have no idea what is out there so far or how to find it. I downloaded the manual but it is too technical for me to get any use from it. Is there a way to do a factory reset on the 8180? Thanks.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Well here I am again asking more questions about the 8180. I finally got an antenna for listening with and I can't find any information on how to just scan the available frequencies. I have no idea what is out there so far or how to find it. I downloaded the manual but it is too technical for me to get any use from it. Is there a way to do a factory reset on the 8180? Thanks.

There is no factory reset. You'd have to take the programming software, read the radio, and remove everything you can, then program it back in. It won't let you wipe the radio back to "out of the box" (unprogrammed) state, though.

You can only scan frequencies that you program in. This isn't like a scanner where you can program in a "low limit" and "high limit" and have it search everything in between. To do that you'd need a scanner.

If you have a list of individual frequencies you want to scan, you can program each one into a channel, mark that channel for scan, then program a scan button and it will run through all of them.

graywoulf

Thanks for the quick reply and information. If I get a programming cable, can I use CHIRP for the programming? I am interested in using this for some of the HAM frequencies eventually if that is possible. I will search to see what GMRS frequencies are used in my area. I am taking my Technician exam next Thursday and I am ready to hit the airwaves. Thanks again.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thanks for the quick reply and information. If I get a programming cable, can I use CHIRP for the programming? I am interested in using this for some of the HAM frequencies eventually if that is possible. I will search to see what GMRS frequencies are used in my area. I am taking my Technician exam next Thursday and I am ready to hit the airwaves. Thanks again.

I don't use Chirp, so I have no idea if it works for that radio or not.

Using KPG-89 is MUCH easier. It's the software designed to work with that radio. It's really easy to learn. I'd strongly suggest sticking with that.

graywoulf

Thanks for the information. Now I am wondering if I want to take this radio any farther or just sell it. If it is not much use as a HAM radio, then I don't think I am going to need or use it. As far as GMRS goes, I don't think I will use it for those frequencies anyway besides the fact that the license is $70 as well. I have found some programming software dongles and cables on ebay but you never know what is reliable unless you pluck down the big bucks for the name brand accessories. I will have to give this some more thought. I really appreciate your time and information.

needairtime

Unless you're into hacking things to work, you're probably better off getting bona fide ham radio that can be frequency programmed on its own keypad. Not saying it can't be done but it can require some effort to get it to work. The programming hardware/software is a given, no matter what you want to do with the radio, other than reselling it.

That being said, I got my even older Kenwood TK-810L into the ham bands. As it also has no frequency programming capability on the front panel, it required some effort and equipment to get it working.

graywoulf

Unless you're into hacking things to work, you're probably better off getting bona fide ham radio that can be frequency programmed on its own keypad. Not saying it can't be done but it can require some effort to get it to work. The programming hardware/software is a given, no matter what you want to do with the radio, other than reselling it.
That being said, I got my even older Kenwood TK-810L into the ham bands. As it also has no frequency programming capability on the front panel, it required some effort and equipment to get it working.
I'm already set there with a Kenwood TM-281A that I am going to use as a base unit for a while and a Yaesu FT-60R for my mobile needs. The 8180 was part of a bundle I bought on ebay mainly for the power supply that came with it.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Nope, not listed. I can't even find any information on GMRS repeaters in my area. Thanks for your help.

myGMRS.com is a good resource for GMRS repeaters. And, no, Chirp isn't going to program a commercial radio like the 8180. You'll need the legit Kenwood software; it's easy to use, though.

graywoulf

myGMRS.com is a good resource for GMRS repeaters. And, no, Chirp isn't going to program a commercial radio like the 8180. You'll need the legit Kenwood software; it's easy to use, though.
I wish I could use the programming cable I bought for my Kenwood TM-281A but I doubt that cable would work. I don't know if the 8 pin connectors on all Kenwood radios are wired the same. Thanks for the tip on myGMRS.com. I'll check it out.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I wish I could use the programming cable I bought for my Kenwood TM-281A but I doubt that cable would work. I don't know if the 8 pin connectors on all Kenwood radios are wired the same. Thanks for the tip on myGMRS.com. I'll check it out.

Trying to remember but I think I have used the same cable for my 281 that I've used for the 7180 and NX700 so give it a try.

graywoulf

Trying to remember but I think I have used the same cable for my 281 that I've used for the 7180 and NX700 so give it a try.
Just letting you know that I sent a message to the ebay seller that I bought my 281A programming cable from to ask if the cable would work for the 8180 and he said that it did. I just found a download site for the software so I guess I will be finding out how it all works soon.

graywoulf

Just letting you know that I sent a message to the ebay seller that I bought my 281A programming cable from to ask if the cable would work for the 8180 and he said that it did. I just found a download site for the software so I guess I will be finding out how it all works soon.
Yes, the 281A cable will work for the 8180. Not that I am going to use it for that but I thought I would post this update.

Status
Not open for further replies.