What causes these listener spikes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiVolt

Feed Provider
Does anyone know what causes these abnormal listener spikes? My streams do not have high listener counts, betwen 5-20 at any given time unless there is some event happening, and every now and then I notice these weird spikes. Today I was surprised to have over 100 listeners for over 4 hours, and when checking the stats it said between 95-100 of these were listed as Chrome browser.

spike.jpg

Reconrider

Bots from other websites
Scanner apps using tags to trick listeners

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
I've also noticed with the scanner radio app, any listener can alert of a breaking event, whether it's happening or not and once the feed breaks a certain listener threshold there will be a banner displayed of said breaking event they chose, similar to how you can issue alerts on your own feed.

I seen feeds with this type of "alert" issued, listened in and there is absolutely nothing happening. Happened to my feed as well.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
We don't track listener IP addresses, so it would be a major project to start doing so.

There are bots, misbehaving browser clients, proxies, and a zillion other reasons why we see spikes in listener counts sometimes. We're aware of the "issue" and we're constantly evaluating ways to better represent true listener counts. But I wouldn't worry about it too much.

rcool101

Feed Provider
I had a spike for 2 days now. It was Dalvik Audio Core 2.1 (Android). 97 last night and 95 today. Put me in the top 50 feeds. I disconnected for 1 minute and reconnected. Back to normal now

Capture feed.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.