• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What CB Channels Do Truck Drivers Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASTRO_Man

Premium Subscriber
When I'm on I-95 and want to talk to truck drivers, what channels do they generally use? How can I find this out?

Daniel_Boone

Banned due to duplicate accounts
Banned
An old Foopah - never use channel 9

Traditionally it was set aside for emergency communications.

Only idiots and the Mexican's use it for general communications.

Back in the heyday of radio - channel 11 was the call channel and channel 19 was the channel that the truckers hangs out on.

With cell phones - most truckers only uses the frequencies sparingly - hence unless you know a certain trucker and he will talk to you - most of them will not talk to regular old people who are not truck drivers these days.

They will actually come right out and tell you that they need these frequencies for their work and that they don't hang out and jaw for hours on end anymore like back in the 1970's and 80's.

If you want to talk to the idiots - then channel 4 and 6 and 8 is usually the place where they hang out.
The Silver Bullet, Down Town James Brown and all the other clowns with the 1000 watt linear amplifiers and beam antenna's that doesn't have a job or a brain.

Most mobiles won't talk more then a couple of miles - so trying to talk to someone over the skip - isn't going to work.
And - if you are traveling 70 mph in one direction and the trucker is traveling 70 mph in the other direction - most conversations lasts less then 5 minutes before you are out of each others range.

ASTRO_Man

Premium Subscriber
Why would some be on 9 and some on 19? They ONLY use those channels?

hockeyshrink

When I'm on I-95 and want to talk to truck drivers, what channels do they generally use? How can I find this out?

Some guys who work for the same company or know each other will chit-chat on on different channels, but the channel for truckers is 19.

Murstech

Its funny to listen to ch19 during the day with 20 db of skip noise and then listen to 19a and there is no noise and you can hear south american am stations as clear as local. I have heard maybe one or two english speaking people ever on those channels and Ive been listening for years.

freqs

CB on the road is not what it was even 5 years ago for sure not sure the reason cell phones are not the reason .
Useing it instead of CB to talk to other driver on the road dont work and with the laws of useing phones and driving. As well how do you know the drivers # on the other side I drive and dont have any other drivers phone # just not a viable way to communicate on the road ..
Alot trucks I see dont even have CB radios in them some companies ar frowning on the destraction of radios and cell phones my company does not allow cell phone use at all you will be terminated is seen driving and useing a cell even hands free use .
As a driver I turn mine off alot because of all the BS and just noise on it .
GPS has been the best thing for trucking it gives you better directions than some fool on the CB playing games and giving you bad help .I allways plan my whole rt before I leave saves alot of trouble ..
I live in the Detroit area and CB is alive (not well) but alive out on the road away from big cities it quite and somewhat dead .19 is still the trucker ch or road help channel .Some will call each other on 19 and move over to other channels.

Last edited:

millrad

Premium Subscriber
Here in CT, Channel 19 is still a crowded wasteland of foulmouthed truck drivers, echo sound effects and roger beeps. Real lowest common denominator stuff.

LtDoc

There really isn't any one channel that's always used by truckers. Just depends on who/what/where and when. Best way I can think of to find the channel used is to just check them all, see what's in use where and when you happen to be on.
Channel 19 tends to be the 'accepted' place to start looking, but that's certainly not a 'given'. I don't think I would use channel 9, that's a generally accepted 'emergency' frequency, where people go to look for help of some kind. That's also not a 'given' either.
Lot's of help, huh?
- 'Doc

roadranger

I think this guy is right...

There really isn't any one channel that's always used by truckers. Just depends on who/what/where and when. Best way I can think of to find the channel used is to just check them all, see what's in use where and when you happen to be on.
Channel 19 tends to be the 'accepted' place to start looking, but that's certainly not a 'given'. I don't think I would use channel 9, that's a generally accepted 'emergency' frequency, where people go to look for help of some kind. That's also not a 'given' either.
Lot's of help, huh?
- 'Doc

...and, I use 19, and wander off to adjacent channels to other conversations when the signals are strong enough to "bleed" over onto 19. Channel 9 is used in some states by some police and state patrol. I think it is Pennsylvania? Anyway, If your CB doesn't scan channels, just turn it on and listen around. You don't have to listen to the noise. Just turn the squelch knob clock-wise a bit and listen. If you have an RF Gain, clock-wise again to bring in more conversations. Sometimes they'll boom in!

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Before you try to talk to truck drivers, listen. Listen for many weeks, before trying to talk with them.

Most truck drivers have little interest in talking to a neophyte, and some of them are outright rude about not talking to someone that isn't another truck driver.

As mentioned by many others, 19 is the default channel to find people on. Some never listen to 19, and there are those that never shut up on 19.

i drive a rescue squad in southern ohio by marrietta ohio i drive from cleveland to marrietta seems like some use other channels but ch-19 is used here by truckers.my car has many antennas and a emergency lightbar so most think i'm a police car its a old 1994 crownvic police car.so i like to monitor ch-19 and have talked to a few truckers after i let them know i'm not the police but some still wont pass me on the freeways lol

Dann

Premium Subscriber
You Can also use CH 17,Im a Truck Driver and i enjoy talking to anyone that wants to chat,It helps the miles go by.

SCPD

QRT
Ok, since everyone wants to answer but doesnt know a thing.....

Here we go. 1st, im chairman of a Cb Radio Club that is mainly for new Cb'ers. Your wanting to know what is the common trucker channel. Well since everyone doesnt know...its 19 in the United States & 18 In the United Kingdom. Unless your on a base station or talking to a friend 19 is where you should be. If you are new, then let me give you some hints on how to get started. 1st, dont talk on 19 for a while, just listen in & learn the slang...or codes that the truckers in your area use. It varies mainly from time zone to time zone (to help give an accurate idea), from my experience truck drivers wont talk to you unless you know the terms they use. Its more of a click you must fall into...sound like your one of them. It will help you to also study a bit on all the truck driving code names. Heres a link, but dont get worried when you get there. Although most of these terms are used...none are all used in the same area. CB SLANG
Print this off, go sit next to your radio, read & listen. Figure out what is mainly used in your area. AND REMEMBER, truck drivers WILL remember your voice if they hear it enough. Just because truckers drive long distances from point A to point B, doesnt mean they dont make several trips through your area. So try not to annoy them, & it will be simple to get in the fun. Its well worth the wait. 2ndly, you should know that once you have the general hang of it, you need a handle/callsign...aka your nickname. Think of something smart & crafty...but dont use something common. For example: (Bubba, Clutch, Bob, Big Bubba, Pop, Wheels, etc) Those are extremely over used & in my opinion annoying. I go by Reaper, ill talk you to death! See what i just did, i threw a short by humorous story behind it....which is a deffinate pleaser. Anything else you need help with look my club page on facebook up. Its called Citizen's Band Central ....also try looking up Radio Communications & Installations up on facebook to.

Status
Not open for further replies.