What Coax would you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If the pole is owned by the power company, it's out.

If you have a metal roof, the attic is out.

A tree is not a good idea, foliage will block signals, especially UHF and higher frequencies. Plus the growth of the tree will constantly be encroaching on the antenna and mount, and there is no NEC-approved way to ground a tree.

Roof mount is not recommended because you'll eventually get leaks around the mounting bolts.

The pole next to the house is your best bet. Tell your wife it's for the cable TV antenna.

Jim41

How about a flagpole? Would your wife find it acceptable? Antenna could go on top.

Jim41

chazcarly

Thanks guys
Jim i was thinking about a flag pole !! I think a Discone on the top might look a little hideous?
looking for photos of a flag pole with a antenna on it. ....

Still open for ideas....
Matt

n0jy

Premium Subscriber
How far away are the repeaters you need to hear? Maybe you can put it in the attic? If you don't have the radiant barrier foil stuff inside the roof.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Rred

Just get a plastic eagle atop the flag pole and stick the discone inside.(G)

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Substitute "Trump effigy" for "plastic eagle" and the HOA might pay for it.

e737

Premium Subscriber
House mount chimney or an eave mount would be best. I say rig it up and and not say anything to the wife she probably wont even notice it.

Rred

Just keep in mind that chimneys are not designed to hold up antennas. Some of them get insulted and fall down several years later, in a good storm.

A tripod mount on the peak of the roof, properly bolted into the beams, can be a much safer bet. Or at least, take a good long hard look at the chimney before you buy the mount for it.

FWIW.

trp2525

Thanks guys...
Still open for ideas....
Matt

I think just getting an antenna anywhere outside of your house could make a big difference in your reception especially considering that your current antenna is in your attic that has a metal roof. The available signal outside of that metal roof should be much stronger than it is in your attic.

Have you considered an NMO mobile magnet mount stuck outside on a window air conditioner metal cabinet (assuming you have a window air conditioner)? You could use any mobile antenna (scanner or professional 2-way) tuned for the band(s) that you are interested in that uses a standard NMO mount. Another option would be to mount it to a metal L bracket mounted to your house just outside one of your windows (preferably on an upper floor) but the ground plane would not be the best with just an L bracket.

Another thought would be to use this small BNC Ground Plane Kit (see attached pictures) from Centerfire Antenna (BNC Ground Plane Kit – Centerfire Antenna Mfg Co) that turns any rubber duck antenna into a base station antenna. It's pretty stealth as the ground plane radials are only 6" long and the vertical element is only as tall as the rubber duck that you use with it. The assembly mounts to any pipe, tube or conduit up to 1 1/2 inches OD.

As I already mentioned I think you will notice an improvement with any antenna that is outside of your house. Keeping your coax length as short as possible between your chosen antenna's mounting location and your scanner will lessen your coax signal losses. Experimentation and "thinking outside of the box" will be necessary in your case for you to get the right combination that gives you the best reception while at the same time conforming to your wife's aesthetic needs for your home.

Attachments

• BNCGPK500text.jpg
    BNCGPK500text.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 440
  • BNCGPKassy500text.jpg
    BNCGPKassy500text.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 507

toastycookies

I think just getting an antenna anywhere outside of your house could make a big difference in your reception especially considering that your current antenna is in your attic that has a metal roof. The available signal outside of that metal roof should be much stronger than it is in your attic.

Have you considered an NMO mobile magnet mount stuck outside on a window air conditioner metal cabinet (assuming you have a window air conditioner)? You could use any mobile antenna (scanner or professional 2-way) tuned for the band(s) that you are interested in that uses a standard NMO mount. Another option would be to mount it to a metal L bracket mounted to your house just outside one of your windows (preferably on an upper floor) but the ground plane would not be the best with just an L bracket.

Another thought would be to use this small BNC Ground Plane Kit (see attached pictures) from Centerfire Antenna (BNC Ground Plane Kit – Centerfire Antenna Mfg Co) that turns any rubber duck antenna into a base station antenna. It's pretty stealth as the ground plane radials are only 6" long and the vertical element is only as tall as the rubber duck that you use with it. The assembly mounts to any pipe, tube or conduit up to 1 1/2 inches OD.

As I already mentioned I think you will notice an improvement with any antenna that is outside of your house. Keeping your coax length as short as possible between your chosen antenna's mounting location and your scanner will lessen your coax signal losses. Experimentation and "thinking outside of the box" will be necessary in your case for you to get the right combination that gives you the best reception while at the same time conforming to your wife's aesthetic needs for your home.

Are you kidding me?

trp2525

Are you kidding me?

Don't kill the messenger. The OP is looking for an antenna and antenna mount that will give him the best reception while AT THE SAME TIME meet his wife's needs for an aesthetic appearance for their home. That being said it certainly limits the mainstream, more-acceptable antenna solutions for scanner enthusiasts and requires "thinking outside of the box." I believe the two solutions that I suggested could meet his (and possibly his wife's) requirements and at the same time improve his reception compared to his current discone antenna in his attic under a metal roof.

If you have any specific suggestions for the OP that would meet his AND his wife's requirements, feel free to post them. I'm sure the OP would be most grateful/thankful for your input.

bharvey2

I couldn't find what frequencies the OP intends to scan. If he's going to stick to the 700-800mhz public service bands only, a small, wife friendly antenna may be easy to come by. While a mobile adapter wouldn't be my first choice, it might work for him. The BNC ground plain adapter shown in the photo could be a problem though as I don't think it would be weatherproof.

trp2525

I couldn't find what frequencies the OP intends to scan...

While a mobile adapter wouldn't be my first choice, it might work for him. The BNC ground plain adapter shown in the photo could be a problem though as I don't think it would be weatherproof.

I may be wrong but I believe the OP is looking for a multi-band antenna solution as his current antenna in his attic is a discone. He also mentioned possibly mounting a discone in a tree or on a flag pole.

Regarding the BNC ground plane adapter, I believe it would stand up in the weather quite well as it has, per the manufacturer, "aluminum angle mount with stainless steel ground radial studs and washers" and "clamping bolts and saddle made from plated steel to resist rust and corrosion." Of course you would want to seal/protect the BNC antenna connector and the BNC coax connector if this was going to be outside exposed to the elements. I would think that a layer of overlapping rubber tape followed by an overlapping layer of regular electrical tape would do the trick and also make for an easy (and clean) removal if needed in the future.

Last edited:

bharvey2

I may be wrong but I believe the OP is looking for a multi-band antenna solution as his current antenna in his attic is a discone. He also mentioned possibly mounting a discone in a tree or on a flag pole.

Regarding the BNC ground plane adapter, I believe it would stand up in the weather quite well as it has, per the manufacturer, "aluminum angle mount with stainless steel ground radial studs and washers" and "clamping bolts and saddle made from plated steel to resist rust and corrosion." Of course you would want to seal/protect the BNC antenna connector and the BNC coax connector if this was going to be outside exposed to the elements. I would think that a layer of overlapping rubber tape followed by an overlapping layer of regular electrical tape would do the trick and also make for an easy (and clean) removal if needed in the future.

I saw that he was using a discone but didn't want to assume he was monitoring all the bands. And I should have been clearer. The BNC ground plane adapter itself might be weatherproof but I wouldn't trust a scanner antenna to be. Those BNC connections definitely need to be sealed.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
bharvey2, ... "Those BNC connections definitely need to be sealed." Absolutely! Myself, I seal ALL outdoor connectors. But as far as the BNCs, I've never seen one that was weather proof. Correct me if I'm wrong.
edit: there's a liquid electrical tape that Lowes and other stores sell that works beautifully. I clean the area with rubbing alcohol, allow to dry, then apply the liquid tape; some times going with 3 coats. And in most cases it comes off relatively easy, not always but a lot of the times.

Last edited:

majoco

Stirrer
Don't you have TV antenna mounts that can be installed on the barge board or gable end? The stays are screwed into the roof purlins with a big blob of silicon sealer under the foot of the stay then more applied to the screw heads - never leaked for me.

Last edited:

bharvey2

Don't you have TV antenna mounts that can be installed on the barge board or gable end? The stays are screwed into the roof purlins with a big blob of silicon sealer under the foot of the stay then more applied to the screw heads - never leaked for me.

Just guessing but I suspect that would ping his wife's radar being that close to the house. On an unrelated note, are any of those transmitting antennas? They look like they'd interfere with one another.

Status
Not open for further replies.