What did I just listen to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eburris12

I live in Florida. I just listened to a transmission on 5.000MHz It went beep beep beep and then sped up with the beeps and then I heard a man's voice say what time it was in UTC time. Then it just repeated the beeps and the man's voice repeated what time it was. It kept repeating. Then I heard the same thing on 7.333MHz. What was I listening to??

And also I heard some people talking very faint on 7.147MHz. It sounded like a radio station broadcast but this is a ham band isn't it? Are radio stations allowed to transmit on ham bands? I'm confused as to what I've been listening to. Any help to identify either of these is appreciated.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
5 Mhz is one of several freqs that station WWV is on. This is a time station out of Ft.Collins Colorado, which is also on 2.5, 10 and 15 mhz. They also announce various things such as propagation data at 18 mins past the hour. Your 7333 is really 7335, but close enough to be CHU Canada, another time station.

I don't know who is on 7147 (note that most all folks that report freqs do so in khz, not mhz); however hams and broadcasters share parts of 80 and 40 meters. This is a bone of contention between the 2 services that will, at some point in the future, be addressed.

73 Mike

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
CHU canada has two different tones of beeps (two sets)

then they announce in english and french

if you cant quite tell what they are talking aboot ;)

3330 is canada

Status
Not open for further replies.