What do I need to install an external antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdeveau2010

Hi all,

I am looking to install either a discone or the ST-2 at my house and I would like step by step instructions on how to do this, also a list of everything I need to do the project. I am currently using a mobil antenna placed on a cookie sheet on my deck, can reach about 30 miles with that, also have a cable /tv amp hooked up to it, it works ok. so any help would be appreciated.

thank you
Paul

N2JDS

I have the ST-2 and am very happy with it. I switched from the discone, I had that because I thought I'd use it for the TX ability, but never went that route, and it was not the best rx. It will come with TV style coax/F connectors. From there I ran it into house, hooked up an amp, and then to a regular TV 1 in, 5 output block. ( please use the ground wire , great idea ). Best rule is obviously, try to get it above the roof line if you can, but that is not a golden rule. Spend the extra money to install it right when mounting. Think the whole process through, then think it through again. I'm lazy, so I always think of, is there something else I can do while I'm up there.
As far as a list of parts, kind of hard to say without knowing your house/setup. BUT, you'll need a pole, a mounting solution, coax, wire ties, ground rod is always a good idea. A friend to help out or call 911 if you fall. If you post a pic of your home, many people on here can give you how they did theirs on that kind of home.

StephenVa

What I did with my ST-2 was basically the same. I put it on 20' of mast to get it 15' above the roof. Added 3 guy wires and ran the coax from the antenna to a grounding block. It goes from the ground block into my scanners and there's an 8 gauge grounding wire from the block to a 8' grounding rod. Eventually where it comes into the house I'll install a multicoupler when I get everything purchased for my shack/desk. I also added a ground to the mast with 8 gauge grounding wire connected to the 8' grounding rod. After reading a bit about grounding I may daisy chain another grounding rod or 2 just for piece of mind.

LarrySC

Discone OK for Aircraft only. Even then you need to insert an "F" to PL adp so you can use RG-6. Depends on what scanner you use but some GRE's and Unidens overload on VHF and the ATT must be used in a Metro area. Check my profile for antenna pics. All my scanner antennas run RG-6. Good Luck. Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.